Home game tournament, final table

Ironluke60Ironluke60 Red Chipper Posts: 8 ✭✭
Good evening Red Chippers,

I am seeking advice on how I played a hand at a final table of a small home game tournament.

Please bear with me, I haven't posted a hand in quite a while.

The tournament started with about 30 players with 10K chips each, this hand takes place at the final table, 7 players remaining.

Hero's stack: $40K, Villain in the hand has about $50K

Blinds: $750, $1500 with $150 Ante

Hero in the SB with :Ac:Tc

Action folds around, hero raises to $4000, BB calls (I don't have a ton of information about Villain as he played most of the tournament at a different table than I).

The table was pretty tight and I had not seen this particular player play too many hands. I put him on something like 4,4+, J,10o+, Most Ax suited, and maybe some of the bigger suited connectors. QQ+ and AQ, AK would have been 3-Bet.

Pot $9,050

Flop: :8s:8h:Td

Hero bets $6000, Villain calls.

After the call I thought maybe a 10x hand like J,10, Q,10 or K,10 It's also possible he's trapping with A,8 or 8,9s

Pot: $21,050

Turn: :2h

No change in my thoughts.

Hero bets $16,000, Villain tanks through the entire time bank and eventually calls.

River: :9s

Hero jams for his remaining 14,000 and gets snapped called and shown
:Jh:Qs

The hand is what it is, but I think I made some mistakes in my bet sizing, specifically post flop. I think a jam on the turn would have been optimal (It would have been about $30,000 into a pot of $21,050).

Your opinion on how I played the hand and suggestions on improvements would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

Comments

• KeyserS023KeyserS023 Red Chipper Posts: 30 ✭✭
    What was the payout structure? Were you on the bubble?
  • KeyserS023KeyserS023 Red Chipper Posts: 30 ✭✭
    edited June 12
    Ironluke60 wrote: »
    The hand is what it is, but I think I made some mistakes in my bet sizing, specifically post flop. I think a jam on the turn would have been optimal (It would have been about $30,000 into a pot of $21,050).

Regardless of the payout structure, I agree on bet sizing. The turn decision is between checking and jamming (highly dependent on the payout structure), but you don't have the stack to do anything in between. However, you might have made your continuation bet a bit larger; $9000 would have set up a more natural pot-sized jam on the turn.

• Ironluke60Ironluke60 Red Chipper Posts: 8 ✭✭
    Hey Keyser,

Top 4 got paid.
    Thanks for your feedback.
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 3,849 -
    If you bet smaller on the flop, you can make a bet on the turn that avoids the false dichotomy of checking or jamming.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • wescrowescro Red Chipper Posts: 54 ✭✭
    edited June 17
    Agree with GameKat that a smaller bet on the flop allows you to barrel without shoving on the turn, which would be better. But overall, I don't think an overjam on the turn would be ideal either, with the stacks as played.

I agree with your post-flop read that he could've been slowplaying trips, but in a way-ahead/way-behind spot, a jam on the turn allows him to play perfectly...he'll just fold out hands that you beat and call you with his trips.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file