First Hand Posting (online $5, $0.02 and $0.05 table)

DrCornwallisDrCornwallis Red Chipper Posts: 4 ✭✭
Hello,

This is the first hand i've ever posted so i'm not sure on exactly how to do it, so all feedback welcome. I may have some terminology wrong too. I have recently decided to learn poker properly and i'm a few books in. Still trying to learn, and learn how to learn! I picked this hand at random more of less (because i lost a bit of money), the only mistake i'm sure of at the moment was my silly all in play. I'll discuss below my thinking. Thankyou in advance for any help.

Hand should also work on this link - http://mysmp.me/h_pc9

Hand:

SB: posts small blind $0.02
BB: posts big blind $0.05
UTG: calls $0.05
UTG+1: raises $0.05 to $0.10
Button -1: Dealt to Dr.Cornwallis [ :JH::AD: ] calls $0.10

Everyone else folds

Thoughts - So, every book I read tells me that a raise UTG and a reraise UTG+1 would indicate two very strong hands. However, my experience of online play so far indicates these two players could have almost anything. Unfortunately, I was new to this table so I know nothing specific about the players. With these two opposing things in mind I decide to just call as i have another 4 players in front of me to act.

*** FLOP *** :7c:Ac:Ks

UTG: checks
UTG+1: bets $0.17
Dr.Cornwallis: raises $0.17 to $0.34
UTG: calls $0.34
UTG+1: calls $0.17

Thoughts - At this moment in time i believe i have the best hand and the pot is small so i reraise. I used the automatic reraise function and looking at this now i believe my reraise was probably too small... assuming i should have re-raised?

*** TURN *** :7c:Ac:Ks:Jd

UTG+1: checks
Dr. C: bets $0.67
UTG: calls $0.67
UTG+1: calls $0.67

thoughts - Both players check, they are probably drawing to something. I hit my jack so i'm very confident i have the best hand now. I raise 67c (pot was about $1.39). I have read in Dan Harrington's book that half pot is a standard probe bet. I should have gone more perhaps? maybe 2/3 or pot to try and shake them off any draws?

*** RIVER *** :7c:Ac:Ks:Jd:5C:

Dr. C: bets $4.19 and is all-in
UTG: calls $4.19
UTG+1: folds

*** SHOW DOWN ***

Dr. C: shows [Jh Ad] (two pair, Aces and Jacks)
UTG: shows [Jc 3c] (a flush, Ace high)

So, i now know the all in at the end was terrible. What about everything else?

As an aside, i play on PokerStars, what's the best way to transfer a hand from there into here? I have text docs with hands in, but i'm essentially writing them out, they don;t seem to be in a friendly format.

I also have many many more questions about the game but i'll look around on the forums first rather than bombard this one post.

Many thanks,

Dr. C.

(i'm not a doctor)

Comments

• TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 3,849 -

SB: posts small blind $0.02
    BB: posts big blind $0.05
    UTG+1: raises $0.05 to $0.10
    Button -1: Dealt to Dr.Cornwallis [ :JH::AD: ] calls $0.10

Everyone else folds

Thoughts - So, every book I read tells me that a raise UTG and a reraise UTG+1 would indicate two very strong hands. However, my experience of online play so far indicates these two players could have almost anything. Unfortunately, I was new to this table so I know nothing specific about the players. With these two opposing things in mind I decide to just call as i have another 4 players in front of me to act.

Let's start with some terminology first. UTG doesn't raise, they call. Similarly UTG+1 doesn't reraise, they raise. Precision with this sort of thing helps all involved.

*** FLOP *** :7c:Ac:Ks

UTG+1: bets $0.17
    Dr.Cornwallis: raises $0.17 to $0.34
    UTG: calls $0.34
    UTG+1: calls $0.17

Thoughts - At this moment in time i believe i have the best hand and the pot is small so i reraise. I used the automatic reraise function and looking at this now i believe my reraise was probably too small... assuming i should have re-raised?

Similarly, you don't reraise here, you just raise.

Absent of reads on the opponents, I don't think a raise accomplishes much here. A min raise is pretty much guaranteed to get called, which may be what you want, but I think the play is to call. Note that if your plan is to set up a line that naturally gets stacks in by the end, a bigger raise makes that trivial, but I don't think that should necessarily be the plan, given you could be dominated,

*** TURN *** :7c:Ac:Ks:Jd

Dr. C: bets $0.67
    UTG: calls $0.67
    UTG+1: calls $0.67

thoughts - Both players check, they are probably drawing to something. I hit my jack so i'm very confident i have the best hand now. I raise 67c (pot was about $1.39). I have read in Dan Harrington's book that half pot is a standard probe bet. I should have gone more perhaps? maybe 2/3 or pot to try and shake them off any draws?

Why would you shake someone off a draw? They're a dog to hit it, so the play is to extract value. With two pair and two checks I think you rightly assume you have the best hand, so size either a) in such a way such that your river shove is more natural; b) to get paid by hands you have crushed. Ideally both.

*** RIVER *** :7c:Ac:Ks:Jd:5C:

Dr. C: bets $4.19 and is all-in
    UTG: calls $4.19
    UTG+1: folds

*** SHOW DOWN ***

Dr. C: shows [Jh Ad] (two pair, Aces and Jacks)
    UTG: shows [Jc 3c] (a flush, Ace high)

So, i now know the all in at the end was terrible. What about everything else?

If, on the turn, you assume at least one player is drawing, the only real draw is clubs. Would someone check a flush on the end? In some player pools it would be unusual. The bigger question is will any hand worse than yours pay off an overbet on the end? They can see the flush came in too. So I suspect a thin value bet is probably the way to go, but had you sized larger earlier, things would be less muddy.

As an aside, i play on PokerStars, what's the best way to transfer a hand from there into here? I have text docs with hands in, but i'm essentially writing them out, they don;t seem to be in a friendly format.

I also have many many more questions about the game but i'll look around on the forums first rather than bombard this one post.

Many thanks,

Dr. C.

(i'm not a doctor)

I believe Stars has a bespoke replayer that you can use (Boom?), although most of us can read Stars HHs well enough. There are also processors that take hands and convert them to forum formats, but since I can't play anywhere that allows tracking s/w I'll leave it to someone else to provide suggestions.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • DrCornwallisDrCornwallis Red Chipper Posts: 4 ✭✭
    Thanks for the reply.

Yes i made mistakes with the raise / re-raise terminology which is unfortunate. I do know the difference I should add.

So I have a basic question on this comment (i don't know how to quote text):

"Absent of reads on the opponents, I don't think a raise accomplishes much here. A min raise is pretty much guaranteed to get called, which may be what you want, but I think the play is to call. Note that if your plan is to set up a line that naturally gets stacks in by the end, a bigger raise makes that trivial, but I don't think that should necessarily be the plan, given you could be dominated,"

Am I being foolish here raising for value and trying to shake people off with draws? Is there too many people? or is it that you think i am dominated too often? I generally try to bet if i think my opponent is waiting for a draw, trying to give him odds that are unfavourable. I don't see why this position is any different.

And this one:

"Why would you shake someone off a draw? They're a dog to hit it, so the play is to extract value. With two pair and two checks I think you rightly assume you have the best hand, so size either a) in such a way such that your river shove is more natural; b) to get paid by hands you have crushed. Ideally both."

So any suggestion what the sizing should be? about 2/3 pot, trying to give them less that 4 to 1 on the draw?

Regards,

Simon
    1. It's only a value raise when you get called by worse. I think it's close between a raise and a call here, simply because there aren't a lot of hands you're beating that will continue.

2. Just size up a bit. 2.5-3x the bet.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • wittmaanwittmaan Red Chipper Posts: 7 ✭✭
    Hello!
    I am Camila, im studying as well. Would like to share my doubts with you!

Is there a better way to play the pre-flop?

UTG and UTG+1 are not showing strong hands. We got position and good cards, that can maybe not flop very well but has a good value pre-flop. Would be better if hero tries to isolate villain?

Cheers!!

wittmaan wrote: »
    Hello!
    I am Camila, im studying as well. Would like to share my doubts with you!

Is there a better way to play the pre-flop?

UTG and UTG+1 are not showing strong hands. We got position and good cards, that can maybe not flop very well but has a good value pre-flop. Would be better if hero tries to isolate villain?

Cheers!!

I think if we have a bet-sizing tell on UTG+1 that they make a min-raise with a wide range, there is merit in an isolating 3-bet, yes.
    Moderation In Moderation

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file