Tough river call against loose passive player

ulysses27ulysses27 Red Chipper Posts: 130 ✭✭
This hand was a challenge because V had such a wide range. He limp called with AA earlier and so it was hard to put him on a range. I also saw him chase a lot and his variance was pretty big. He went up to 230bb and down to 60 and then up to 120. The flop was very dynamic and wet and so I'm not 100% on whether cbetting it was a good idea or not. I chose to because I blocked straight draws and had a gut shot as well. I choose to barrel on the K because there are more of those in my range then his and I felt he would be calling my large preflop raise with more Ax hands. When he calls and the flush comes in I felt I needed to check. I probably would've called a small bet but when he shoves it pretty much puts him on a flush or a 2 pair combo. There aren't really any hands that he would shove the rest of his stack with that I beat.

I'd be interested to hear thoughts on other lines I could've taken and any thoughts on range with a player this wide.

I was in the SB.

NL Holdem 0.25(BB)

HERO ($25)
MP1 ($16.59) [VPIP: 65.2% | PFR: 6.5% | AGG: 33.3% | Flop Agg: 29.5% | Turn Agg: 47.4% | River Agg: 21.6% | 3-Bet: 5.3% | 4-Bet: 0% | Cold Call: 58% | Hands: 155]

Dealt to Hero: J:diamond: J:spade:

UTG Folds, EP Calls $0.25, MP1 Calls $0.25, MP2 Folds, HJ Calls $0.25, CO Calls $0.25, BTN Folds, HERO Raises To $2, BB Folds, EP Folds, MP1 Calls $1.75, HJ Folds, CO Folds

Hero SPR on Flop: [2.92 effective]
Flop ($5): 7:club: T:diamond: 8:club:
HERO Bets $2.36 (Rem. Stack: $20.64), MP1 Calls $2.36 (Rem. Stack: $12.23)

Turn ($9.72): 7:club: T:diamond: 8:club: K:heart:
HERO Bets $4.59 (Rem. Stack: $16.05), MP1 Calls $4.59 (Rem. Stack: $7.64)

River ($18.90): 7:club: T:diamond: 8:club: K:heart: 6:club:
HERO Checks, MP1 Bets $7.64 (allin), Hero ?

Comments

• JoeOffsuitJoeOffsuit Red Chipper Posts: 531 ✭✭✭
    The river hit BOTH the flush draw AND the open ended straight draw.

You have been studying your opponent, and you found him to be passive.

I sure hope you used the information you learned from studying your opponent, and made the correct exploitive play here.

• ulysses27ulysses27 Red Chipper Posts: 130 ✭✭
    JoeOffsuit wrote: »
    The river hit BOTH the flush draw AND the open ended straight draw.

You have been studying your opponent, and you found him to be passive.

I sure hope you used the information you learned from studying your opponent, and made the correct exploitive play here.

I did. On rivers like this I try to think of hands I beat that v might have. I couldn't come up with any. Any thoughts on the previous streets?
  • kenaceskenaces Red Chipper Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭✭
    seems fine

The title of your post says it all - "Tough river call against loose passive player" - there is no such thing!

If they are loose-passive they are under bluffing so we just over fold.
    ulysses27 wrote: »
    I did. On rivers like this I try to think of hands I beat that v might have. I couldn't come up with any. Any thoughts on the previous streets?

I liked your opened sizing pre-flop against all of those limpers from the SB.

C-Bet on the flop was certainly reasonable.

What was your reasoning for barreling again on the turn?
  • ulysses27ulysses27 Red Chipper Posts: 130 ✭✭
    JoeOffsuit wrote: »
    ulysses27 wrote: »

I liked your opened sizing pre-flop against all of those limpers from the SB.

C-Bet on the flop was certainly reasonable.

What was your reasoning for barreling again on the turn?

I was thinking the K was more in my range then v and it didn't complete any draws so it was worth continuing. And if he was on a draw I wanted to charge him for it.
    I agree that when we are ahead, it is good to charge draws on the turn. But in this case, after he called on the flop, and the turn comes as an overcard, it's very hard to tell if we are ahead or behind. And when we are behind with a medium strength hand like this, would you agree we are setting money on fire by betting the turn?

Of course, a problem with checking out of position, is many players will see it as giving up, and then try to pick up the pot with any two cards.

So against an unknown with a medium strength hand here, I might check/call once, but give the opponent credit if he bets twice (both turn and river.) Then to prevent myself from being exploitable doing this, every now and then I need to take a strong hand. then check/call the turn, and check again on the river, to protect myself so they can't always fire twice and make money off me.

However, OOP against an opponent who is both loose and passive, I also like the idea of checking the turn, but instead to exploit his passive nature by folding if he bets the turn. But if the LP checks back on the turn, AND no draws hit on the river, then we could exploit his loose nature by betting our medium strength hand for thin value on the river.

That's just my thoughts. Maybe some others will have opinions for playing this turn?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file