One month is Vegas- Where to stay ?

the bronzethe bronze Red Chipper Posts: 9 ✭✭
Hi,
I am wondering your recommendations for a month in Vegas? I'm not looking for luxury, but definitely not interested in getting robbed either. It'll be in Late September or October. I just plan on staying for a month and playing cards. Your thoughts are most appreciated.

Answers

  • RedRed Red Chipper Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 30
    You should give some more info, esp.:
    - Are you motorized (your own car / rental / uber&co) or not?
    - Do you want to be alone or are you open to flatmating?

    Out of the blue, if you know nobody in Vegas* (edit: who could host or know someone for that), I'd go on airbnb and ask for a long stay discount.

    * maybe @TheGameKat could be helpful here
  • the bronzethe bronze Red Chipper Posts: 9 ✭✭
    I'm open to riding solo or staying with someone. I'll have a car.
    I stayed at the Meridian condos for three months before, but that was a couple years ago. It was probably nicer than needed because I basically only slept and worked out there. Also, I am wondering what are the popular rooms for small stacks these days (1/2-5/10)?
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 3,654 -
    I'd agree AirBnB is likely a decent option. As to poker rooms, I can give an update nearer the time, since the current situation is rather fluid due to the pandemic. It's conceivable we're still playing short-handed then.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • RedRed Red Chipper Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭✭
    the bronze wrote: »
    It was probably nicer than needed because I basically only slept and worked out there.

    So I don't know how you enjoy life and all. Yet if you plan to have a "long" (1 month) stay and play intensively poker, I think you should think in advance how you will replenish your mental health to be on your A-game when going back to the poker room.

    If you're more an "inside guy" like me, you may want to look for more than just a room with a bed to sleep and do push-ups; and target a cosy place you feel comfortable reading, playing games, watching TV, studying poker. For me, "just a room" is ok for a short trip, but get depressing after few days as I can't relax in "just a room".
  • BigDaddyBigDaddy Red Chipper Posts: 70 ✭✭
    Hi,
    I am wondering your recommendations for a month in Vegas?
    "You lost me at hello."
  • the bronzethe bronze Red Chipper Posts: 9 ✭✭
    HAHAH. I know from previous adventures that most people are only capable 3 days. When I stayed there before many friends came and it became very apparent that most people should stay a maximum of three days before things fall apart. I'm not really the party type and only occasionally drink so things don't hit me like it hits others.
  • the bronzethe bronze Red Chipper Posts: 9 ✭✭
    Red wrote: »
    the bronze wrote: »
    It was probably nicer than needed because I basically only slept and worked out there.

    So I don't know how you enjoy life and all. Yet if you plan to have a "long" (1 month) stay and play intensively poker, I think you should think in advance how you will replenish your mental health to be on your A-game when going back to the poker room.

    If you're more an "inside guy" like me, you may want to look for more than just a room with a bed to sleep and do push-ups; and target a cosy place you feel comfortable reading, playing games, watching TV, studying poker. For me, "just a room" is ok for a short trip, but get depressing after few days as I can't relax in "just a room".

    For sure. I like to play 5-6 days a week. maybe one long session but Im only good for about 4 hours before my game deteriorates. So, outside of that i'd rest, exercise, and read mostly.
  • the bronzethe bronze Red Chipper Posts: 9 ✭✭
    TheGameKat wrote: »
    I'd agree AirBnB is likely a decent option. As to poker rooms, I can give an update nearer the time, since the current situation is rather fluid due to the pandemic. It's conceivable we're still playing short-handed then.

    I'll check in then. Air BNB seems likely I guess.
  • MnpokerMnpoker Red Chipper Posts: 139 ✭✭
    I would suggest the Silverton. It would run roughly $1200 for the month and is really close to Southpoint for solid poker as well as bowling and a movie theater. Both casinos have great food at reasonable prices and are in safe areas
  • the bronzethe bronze Red Chipper Posts: 9 ✭✭
    Mnpoker wrote: »
    I would suggest the Silverton. It would run roughly $1200 for the month and is really close to Southpoint for solid poker as well as bowling and a movie theater. Both casinos have great food at reasonable prices and are in safe areas

    Thanks for recommendation. That looks like a decent set up.
  • RedRed Red Chipper Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 1
    I don't know if it has changed since, but during my last visits in Vegas (Summer 2017 and 2019), Southpoint had the reputation of being a den of tight-to-nitty regs and OMC.

    In my experience, the best casino for pokers are / were Aria, Ceasar and Wynn. (Edit: and Mirage, but you will mostly only find 1/2$)
    Venetian and Bellagio also have good reputations although I can't say myself (only played once there)
  • MnpokerMnpoker Red Chipper Posts: 139 ✭✭
    I have played at Southpoint 10-20 times a year for the last 10 years and you find a mix. The NL tends to have roughly 2 nits, 2 want to be pros, 3 tourists and 2 loose passive. This is very generalized but over time holds fairly true
  • MnpokerMnpoker Red Chipper Posts: 139 ✭✭
    The casinos that Red mentioned are great rooms as well just everything from food to parking will cost more
  • the bronzethe bronze Red Chipper Posts: 9 ✭✭
    Thank you all for the information. I haven't made a decision yet, but if COVID put too many constraints on things, I think I'll be staying at Silverton.
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 3,654 -
    I haven't gone out to play live poker since the reopening here, but SouthPoint, while sometimes a bit quirky, does indeed have good action. There's also some indications we're getting on top of COVID here, although there's also some concern we might get a July 4th echo in about 10 days. I'll report back.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • the bronzethe bronze Red Chipper Posts: 9 ✭✭
    TheGameKat wrote: »
    I haven't gone out to play live poker since the reopening here, but SouthPoint, while sometimes a bit quirky, does indeed have good action. There's also some indications we're getting on top of COVID here, although there's also some concern we might get a July 4th echo in about 10 days. I'll report back.

    I was thinking stay at Silverton, play at South Point (with some other rooms sprinkled in). 2 weeks, then stay somewhere fancy for a day or two and check-in again.

    That's my real concern. I'm not personally worried about COVID, but I think enough people are, or there's enough of a threat, that things will be slow moving. I don't really want to play short handed all the time.
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 3,654 -
    Yeah I should have been clear, Silverton is perfect for SouthPoint.

    As to playing short-handed, that may simply be a fact of life for several months. To put it another way, I doubt any rooms in Vegas will spread full-ring games this year, but that is mostly guessing with some input from card room managers.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • cowoltercowolter Red Chipper Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited July 10
    There are plenty of weekly/monthly places in Vegas: Seigel Suites, Budget Suites, The Suites, Manor Suites, Sportsmans Royal Manor, etc. They are basically all highly questionable at best. In Vegas if it has "Manor" or "Suites" in the name I'd say generally run.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file