My first ever Poker Hand share

smithy885smithy885 Red Chipper Posts: 6 ✭✭
Hi all,

I've decided to share my first poker hand and to ask for advice.

I picked up a deck for the first time about 6 weeks ago, along with a Core membership and have been studying and playing a bit every day. Thus I am an absolute fish with a very basic knowledge of the game, so my apologies in advance for this terrible hand!

The reason I'm sharing this hand is that, having done my off table work on it, I should have called or even re-raised Villain, as I had the equity advantage. However, in the moment it really felt like he had probably flopped a set of Kings - but I don't know if that's just my newbie fear taking over. I'm still at that stage of feeling like my opponent either has nothing or everything!

I've been steadily bleeding chips over the past 6 weeks, so have been trying to tighten my game and fold against big raises unless I feel confident I've got the nuts.

I know NOW it would have been +EV to continue, but my question is "was I chicken?"! What would you have done?

Thanks everyone.

- Mark

(Hero's HUD stats VPIP/PFR 25/19)
(Villain's HUD stats VPIP/PRF 31/12 FCB 50 but only 26 hands)

No Limit Hold'em $0.01/$0.02
PokerStars
6 players
Formatted by pokercopilot.com: Poker HUD for Mac and Windows

Stacks:
UTG - UTG ($2.00)
MP - MP ($2.00)
CO - Hero ($2.12)
BTN - BTN ($1.12)
SB - SB ($1.92)
BB - BB ($2.15)

Preflop: ($0.03, 6 players) Hero is CO with :Td:Ad
2 folds, Hero raises to $0.06, BTN calls $0.06, 2 folds

Flop: :Kd:Kc:As ($0.15, 2 players - Hero: $2.06, BTN: $1.06)
Hero bets $0.10, BTN raises to $0.20, Hero calls $0.10

Turn: :3h ($0.55, 2 players - Hero: $1.86, BTN: $0.86)
Hero bets $0.32, BTN raises to $0.64, 1 fold, Uncalled bet of $0.32 returned to BTN

Total Pot: $1.19

BTN wins $1.15

Comments

• EurocratEurocrat Red Chipper Posts: 73 ✭✭
    Hi, and welcome to the poker community!

I think that, as played, the fold on the turn is fine. A crucial piece of information is stack size: Not having 100bb is a clear indication somebody is a recreational player. As a default, I would assume that recreational players dont bluff often enough in most spots. Min-raising you a second time on the turn is one such spot. It is possible villain plays this way with Ax that they overvalue or even spazzing aroung with random air, but most of the time I do think you will see Kx here.

The bigger issue for me is the donkbet on the turn though. What were you trying to accomplish with it? I can't think of anything this bet achieves.
  • smithy885smithy885 Red Chipper Posts: 6 ✭✭
    Thank you.

I think that bet on the Turn was almost certainly done out of panic. I can't remember exactly what I was thinking, but I'm guessing it was something along the lines of "if I'm ahead then its a decent sized value bet, if they're bluffing they'll quit, and if they've got it they'll raise and I'll fold".

Obviously, in the light of day that's a terrible logic but I'm still rookie enough that my brain spins as the time bank is running down and, more often than not, I'm making habitual decisions rather than considered ones.

I'm hoping that'll develop with practice.
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 3,654 -
    Bit of nomenclature. If villain has a K, then he'd flop trip Ks, not a set.

As to the line, I think your flop bet is too big. The turn lead is... just not a good idea. You'll stop doing that fairly rapidly, simply because it'll feel wrong.

Something I'd recommend is putting yourself in your opponent's shoes. What does your hand look like to them? You raised pre, which says something. You c-bet which may not mean much. Then you called the min-raise. That tends to make your perceived range A-heavy. With that in mind, if you check turn, it's a pretty rare microstakes player who is going to try to move you off Ax. They may even check back a hand like AJ or even AQ here.

As played, fold is fine.
    Moderation In Moderation
    TheGameKat wrote: »
    As to the line, I think your flop bet is too big.

I think this a simple case of automatically opting for "bet 2/3 pot as a value bet".

I definitely need to work on putting myself in my opponent's shoes. I think my default thought processes are all wrong, as a lot of the advice seems counterintuitive to me - which is why I'm losing money!

I also need to make peace with Checking, and not see it as a flag of surrender. For instance, on the Turn my brain says "if I check, it looks like I have nothing worth value betting, meaning V will bet regardless and I will learn nothing about their hand. Whereas if I bet, then Vs reaction will tell me something". But this is clearly an incorrect way of approaching the game, so I fear some serious mental reprogramming is necessary to break this!

Thank you again for your help, its going to make a huge difference in forming my game. This forum is going to be crucial for me, I'm sure!

-Mark
    I'm convinced that the combo of CORE and this forum allows anyone who is prepared to work to play profitable poker.
    Moderation In Moderation
    Sorry to keep asking rookie questions, Kat, but what bet sizes would you use on the flop and turn? I’m guessing no bet on the turn, but what about the flop? I’ll need to learn to deviate from my standard bet sizings soon, I think.
    The trick is to ask what you're trying to achieve by betting. On that flop, it's pretty hard to find a hand that you're beating that will pay off a bet. If you size down to, say, 1/3 pot or less, you'll get a call from small suited aces, and maybe gutshots that are primarily looking to see if you'll bet twice.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • RandonRiversRandonRivers BlackburnRed Chipper Posts: 17 ✭✭
    I used to bet this flop but I would probably opt to check the flop now or bet small like 1/3 pot like mentioned above by TheGameKat to get call from small and medium pocket pairs and also hands like JT QT QJ.
    Also if you check the flop here, there aren't a massive amount of bad turn cards and I have found rec players tend to overbluff in this spot. If you bet they fold and you win x amount but checking here gets value from hands that would of ended up folding, but obviously there will be times where you give them a free card to hitting a FH with a small pp but I've found most will call 1 street anyway with these.
    As played on the flop I would check the turn to him. When you bet here you make it easier from them to get their chips all in the middle as now they can raise you. If you check and they would have to overbet the pot to get the same amount of chips in the middle..
  • BFSkinnerBFSkinner Red Chipper Posts: 121 ✭✭
    smithy885 wrote: »
    I also need to make peace with Checking, and not see it as a flag of surrender. For instance, on the Turn my brain says "if I check, it looks like I have nothing worth value betting, meaning V will bet regardless and I will learn nothing about their hand.

If you believe someone is taking advantage of your checks, check-raise your value hands.

The faster you get past making a stand by check/calling or bet/calling when you have no idea if you are being bluffed or not (spoiler: at your limit, most people are not bluffing when they raise) the faster you will see more of a profit.

Also, why did you bet the turn? What did you expect to get called with that you beat?
  • kenaceskenaces Red Chipper Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭✭
    smithy885 wrote: »
    I also need to make peace with Checking, and not see it as a flag of surrender. For instance, on the Turn my brain says "if I check, it looks like I have nothing worth value betting, meaning V will bet regardless and I will learn nothing about their hand. Whereas if I bet, then Vs reaction will tell me something". But this is clearly an incorrect way of approaching the game, so I fear some serious mental reprogramming is necessary to break this!
    -Mark

Checking is just one of your 2 options there really shouldn't be any emotions around checking or betting. You just have to stop thinking about how you look and just take what you think is the highest EV action for the situation you are in.

Checking isn't giving up as you can still XC or XR.

• DanAndersonDanAnderson Red Chipper Posts: 2
    This is really cool.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file