RCP Study Group - confusing line on a wet board

sfx_beigssfx_beigs Red Chipper Posts: 72 ✭✭
edited July 7 in Online Poker Hands
A hand from last night's study group. Spoilers at the bottom.

Very aggressive game. Everybody is a RCP member so they're all somewhat studied or at least trying to be. Lots of 3 betting. Lots of moves in position etc...

6 handed - Blinds .02/.04.

UTG ($24.80) - raises to 0.12 (been hitting monsters all night. Definitely the 'hot hand')
UTG+1 ($13.14) - calls 0.12 (Has the reputation as the loosest player in the game)
BUT ($9.37) - calls 0.12 (Solid mid-stakes limit player making the move to NL)
SB ($6.79) - calls 0.12 (Loves to see flops as often as possible as long as it's relatively cheap)

FLOP (Pot: $0.52): Jh 5c 2h

SB (6.57) - donks for 0.26
UTG (24.68) - raises to 1.04
UTG+1 (13.02) - cold calls 1.04
BUT - Folds
SB - Folds

TURN (Pot: $2.86) - 8h

UTG (23.64) - Bets 1.90
UTG+1 (11.98) - Raises to 3.92
UTG - calls

RIVER (Pot: $10.70) - 4d

UTG (19.72) - checks
UTG+1 (8.06) - shoves all in for 8.06
UTG - folds

Curious to know what hands you're putting these folks on and then, once you read the spoiler, how 'correct' the flop lines were. There was some discussion about how UTG+1 played his hand. UTG felt betting the turn was a mistake when the flush card came. The flop cold call by UTG+1 was super suspicious and felt very trappy. He either has a set or a flush draw that just got there.

SB: JTo
UTG: KsKh
UTG+1 - Ah9h
BUT - didn't show
Tagged:

Comments

• kenaceskenaces Red Chipper Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭✭
    Please edit and add a river card to your post.
  • sfx_beigssfx_beigs Red Chipper Posts: 72 ✭✭
    Edit: River is the 4d.

(Is there a place to edit the original post?)
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 3,654 -
    sfx_beigs wrote: »
    Edit: River is the 4d.

(Is there a place to edit the original post?)

Done.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • RedRed Red Chipper Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't know what's so confusing. Based on the action and the board texture, I think everybody played their hand rather to blatantly faced-up.

Flop:
    - In my experience, SB donkbetting MW on a board which isn't him is usually a marginal made hand (mostly TP ; could be sometimes a FD or a set)
    - UTG being PFR raises against a (for me) weak donkbet - and raises MW and big for more that pot! His raise clearly puts him on JJ+, AhTh, AhQh+.
    - UTG+1 cold calling MW without closing the action with a capped range on such a disconnected board means mostly (discounted) AJ, 22, 55 or FD.

Turn:
    - UTG keep betting his previous range. (Sizing is too big IMHO.)
    - Considering UTG's range is mostly overpairs, UTG+1 raises with a set or a flush for value and protection, esp. if not the nut FD. (He should have raised more tho; for the laid odds and for pot geometry.) AJ and weak flushes may want to call.

River:
    UTG check/fold a clear 2nd best.
    UTG+1 shove his sets and flushes against weakness, probably never getting called because of the price / odds.
  • sfx_beigssfx_beigs Red Chipper Posts: 72 ✭✭
    The confusion was “how to not play face up” really for UTG+1 on the flop. The cold call seems to turn his hand face up.

Is there a more effective/+EV line for UTG & UTG+1?
  • kenaceskenaces Red Chipper Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭✭
    JTo - just fold preflop in SB and don't donk flop

KK I can make a case for calling or raising flop depending on any reads/assumptions. The KK turn lead seems bad as does the river call unless the UTG+1(should be called CO if I am reading this right) is some crazy maniac. KK should just XC turn.
  • Eon137Eon137 Red Chipper Posts: 196 ✭✭✭
    Red wrote: »
    I don't know what's so confusing. Based on the action and the board texture, I think everybody played their hand rather to blatantly faced-up.

(He should have raised more tho; for the laid odds and for pot geometry.) AJ and weak flushes may want to call.

River:
    UTG check/fold a clear 2nd best.
    UTG+1 shove his sets and flushes against weakness, probably never getting called because of the price / odds.

Agree with the above. (I am UTG+1). The flop raise by UTG confused me a bit because it was unexpected. I felt a 3bet would seem too strong, and decided to flat and bet all turns as semi-bluff if no heart and for value if I made the nut flush. I agree this was a face-up move. My turn bet size was to give a little less than pot size river shove, but this was a mistake. I should have sized larger on the turn to make it likely the river shove would get called vs. my nuts.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file