balancing a tight range

Bruce3_Bruce3_ Red Chipper Posts: 9 ✭✭
Say I'm playing a 7.5% range from UTG (55+ AJs+ KQs AQo+) 9-handed, and K, 8, 5 flops. Trying to apply Splitsuit's 1% course, balancing between bluff, value, and checking means I have to check QQ and AKo, and classify TT as a bluff. Feels wrong? Did I misunderstand something?

Comments

• BFSkinnerBFSkinner Red Chipper Posts: 118 ✭✭
    Why would you classify TT as a bluff? With the range you gave, 66 and 77 would be far better bluffs as they block V's only real straight possibility.

What specifically are you referencing in Split's video? Can you cite the specific video (there are 9 1% videos) and the section you are referring to?
  • Bruce3_Bruce3_ Red Chipper Posts: 9 ✭✭
    I thought the requirements are that you should have twice as many bluffs as value, and some check-calling and check-folding range. I have AA, KK, 55, AKs as value; AQ, TT, 88, AJs as bluffs; QQ, JJ AKo as check-calls; and 66, 77 as the check-folding range. I know this can't be right, but I'm reacting to the suggestion to fully balance your range. Can't see how it works with a tight range. Can anyone help?
    Which part of the video are you referencing? Letting us know will assist in answering you.
    I don't know. Wasn't balancing your range something he went back to again and again all through the series?
    He certainly talked about it a lot in "Bluffing vs. value," part of the 1% series.
    And I guess the idea of folding the worst 30% comes in most on part 4, "The 70% model."
    Right but your range is incredibly tight. As an extreme example, let’s say your range is QQ+. On a Q 7 2 board, are you really folding KK ( the worst 30% of your range)?

No.

Without specific video commentary, you are balancing your range over all flops not necessarily this one.

Assuming you raise and the bb calls, you have a massive range advantage on a K 8 5 board. The BB range is capped for value at 88 and 55 and robust equity with 67. You on the other hand have all sets, AA, AK, and KQ in your range. This means you get to bet far more often on this board than a 679ccd board which would favor the BB’s calling range.

Your best bluffs are 66 and 77 here as they block BB’s only robust equity hand. If you insist on check/folding, use AJs without a backdoor flush draw.

Check back 99-QQ as they retain their equity against 8x. Kx is never folding to any of your bluffs anyway. You are targeting Ax 8x and 5x of their range to fold.
  • Ori13_TTVOri13_TTV PennsylvaniaRed Chipper Posts: 77 ✭✭
    Bruce3_ wrote: »
    I thought the requirements are that you should have twice as many bluffs as valuw
    No youre supposed to have twice as many value as bluffs.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file