All-in with 3 of a kind

Anthony123Anthony123 Red Chipper Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited July 21 in Online Poker Hands
Hello, new player here and this a hand that I played today and trying to analyse. My thoughts at the bottom, would be great to hear any feedback.

No Limit Hold'em $0.01/$0.02
6 players
No info on villain

Stacks:
UTG ($14.38)
MP ($3.61)
CO ($3.08)
BTN - Hero ($2.88)
SB ($1.60)
BB ($3.10)

Preflop: ($0.03, 6 players) Hero is BTN with :4s:4D:
UTG raises to $0.06, 2 folds, Hero calls $0.06, 1 fold, BB raises to $0.30, 1 fold, Hero calls $0.24

Flop :Jc:5d:Ks (pot $0.67)
BB bets $0.20, Hero calls $0.20

Turn :4H: (pot $1.07)
BB bets $0.52, Hero calls $0.52

River :Th (pot $2.11)
BB bets $2.08 (all-in), Hero calls $1.86 (all-in)

Total Pot: $5.83
BB shows Ad Qd (a straight, Ten to Ace)
Hero shows 4s 4d (three of a kind, Fours)

BB wins $5.63

This obviously hurt. My initial thoughts:

1. Should I have called the $0.24 preflop with such a low pair (even though I was BTN)? (I was influenced by a book I was reading just moments before playing this hand)
2. I should have folded after the flop, when I didn't get anything
3. Given how I played earlier, would there be any advantage if I raised instead of calling on the turn?

All feedback and thoughts appreciated. Thanks! :)
Tagged:

Comments

• BFSkinnerBFSkinner Red Chipper Posts: 118 ✭✭
    Fold preflop
    Fold Flop
    Raise Turn
    Opponents get there sometimes.

Also, do not show results. Will taint analysis of the hand.
  • LsDghLsDgh Red Chipper Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited July 21
    I'm new to the game too so take what I say with a grain of salt. That said here's what I'm thinking;

What sort of hands is BB 3-betting here? He knows UTG raised so it's not like he's trying to defend his blinds against a steal. So I'm thinking 10+ or good broadway cards like AK,AQ,KQ,KJ...
    Your pocket 4's aren't doing so well against this range so I think a fold preflop is probably the play.

The flop comes with a :KS: and a :JC:
    With the range he'd 3-bet with preflop these seem like terrible cards. The 10+ pocket pairs are still ahead of you and AK,KQ etc are now made hands and ahead of you. Plus the hands he's likely playing that aren't made hands at this stage like AQ are going to have strong draws.
    Best case you can hope for is a 4 but even that isn't giving you the nuts here.
    So I'm thinking fold to the flop bet too.
  • PapaGiorgioPapaGiorgio Red Chipper Posts: 91 ✭✭
    I'm not against the flop call. Without more info on the players, it is possible that BB is squeezing with broadways that don't really play well multiway. You are essentially calling to setmine, with the added advantage of position that could win with aggressive postflop play on low boards. However, the flop was not favorable for your range (and more favorable for BB's range). Moreover, you did not flop trips. Thus, fold the flop and focus on the next hand.

As the hand played out, you caught trips on the turn but were caught by an unlucky river card. I think turn call is fine if you think BB has AK/KQ that would bet again on the river.
  • Anthony123Anthony123 Red Chipper Posts: 3 ✭✭
    Thank you all for the thoughts and advice, much appreciated. I seem to have be right in my general analysis, with the addition that I didn't really think about the range the BB represented by 3-betting when UTG had already raised.
    Had I thought about that more, I would probably had folded after the flop, if not before.
    Thanks again! :)
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 3,654 -
    A critical issue is the stack depth when facing the 3-bet. If you started the hand with 300bb, a call is defensible and possibly best.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • ChrisWarrenChrisWarren Posts: 2 -
    edited July 23
    One of the issues with flatting this preflop is that theoretically you need to defend frequently if not 100% when the original raiser folds to a squeeze.

I'd want a much stronger range for this like AQs, 88-TT and a few combos of KJs type hands. Including 44 (and the logical before 44) would make this way too wide of a range to manage profitably.

Similarly, on the flop your hand is done against BB's range, even with the small sizing.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file