Range advantage

ulysses27ulysses27 Red Chipper Posts: 114 ✭✭
I've been thinking about range advantage lately and I was wondering if a player rarely raises and limps most if not all of their range and I raise do I have range advantage? Because their range remains uncapped does that have any effect? I know this doesn't happen that often but I'm trying to cement these concepts in my head.

Comments

• TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 3,654 -
    ulysses27 wrote: »
    I've been thinking about range advantage lately and I was wondering if a player rarely raises and limps most if not all of their range and I raise do I have range advantage? Because their range remains uncapped does that have any effect? I know this doesn't happen that often but I'm trying to cement these concepts in my head.

You need to assess how the two ranges in question interact with the board.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • blindraiseblindraise Red Chipper Posts: 302 ✭✭
    I struggled with the same thing last year, this thread helped me alot

https://forum.redchippoker.com/discussion/12266/limping-entire-range#latest
  • kenaceskenaces Red Chipper Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭✭

It depends heavily on how tight their limp/call range is and how wide your ISO range is? You will have to start with some assumptions about this and then look at some different flops(flopzilla is cool for this). I like to compare equities, and also consider if one player has a strong "nuts" advantage(ie two pair+).

In more general terms the ISO raise player will have a range advantage on most flops.
  • ulysses27ulysses27 Red Chipper Posts: 114 ✭✭
    TheGameKat wrote: »

I guess that's where I get confused. I understand if their VPIP is 15 vs 60 that effects things greatly but supposing it's a A46 board I would assume I have the range advantage but since they are uncapped does that change at all. I'm just trying to get a deeper understanding of this concept.
    edited July 23
    TheGameKat wrote: »

I guess that's where I get confused. I understand if their VPIP is 15 vs 60 that effects things greatly but supposing it's a A46 board I would assume I have the range advantage but since they are uncapped does that change at all. I'm just trying to get a deeper understanding of this concept.

See kenaces post above. The only way to know for sure is to use your known range, make an assumption about your opponent's range, and compare them on a tool like Flopzilla for a given flop. Look at the equities of the two ranges and also determine who has the nuts in their range.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • Ori13_TTVOri13_TTV PennsylvaniaRed Chipper Posts: 77 ✭✭
    Theres a lot of factors that effect range advantage in different ways. Id say keep it simple for now, and get used to how ranges compare to eachother in terms of equity on different textures.

Keep in mind that down the road youll learn range advantage goes much deeper than just equities on the flop. But thats a thing to worry about once you get range vs range equities figured out. dont get too wrapped up in it though, range advantage is kind of more of a rule of thumb in my opinion. Its not exactly a hard and fast rule. For example, range advantage can encourage you to bluff nore often, but doesnt mean you have to bluff your entire range or that you should bluff someone who doesnt have a fold button.
    Not quite sure what "rule of thumb" means in this context, but good players incorporate who has range advantage into their decision of whether they should bet or not in virtually every hand they play.
    Moderation In Moderation

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file