AQs OOp in 3bet pot

yuval_er1yuval_er1 Red Chipper Posts: 3 ✭✭
I would like to get opinions about big pot I lost.

We play 5/10 NIS, it’s around 1/3$.
2 limpers in EP , Hero (4500) Raises to 75 from the HJ with AsQs. Villan (4000) in the Btn 3bets to 250 . Villan is a thinking player, who will 3bet or fold most of his range and has good 3bet range, not too wide but surely not just aces or kings. A loose passive fish cold calls from the BB and hero calls.

Flop Ac Kd 5h . Checks around.

Turn Jh. Checks around.

River 9d. BB checks, hero bets 500, btn reraises to 2400, hero calls. Btn shows AdJd.

Some thoughts. Villan can checks his monsters on relative dry flops even against 2 players. I can’t have aces kings and AK on this board, so I decided to check the turn.

On the river I wanted to bet smaller but didn’t want to fit the bet sizing to my hand strength against a thinking player.

I thought Villan won’t check the turn against 2 players on wet texture so I decided to call.

Anything I should learn from this hand?
Tagged:

Comments

• RedRed Red Chipper Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 28
    yuval_er1 wrote: »
    We play 5/10 NIS, it’s around 1/3$.
    2 limpers in EP , Hero (4500) Raises to 75 from the HJ with AsQs. Villan (4000) in the Btn 3bets to 250 . Villan is a thinking player, who will 3bet or fold most of his range and has good 3bet range, not too wide but surely not just aces or kings. A loose passive fish cold calls from the BB and hero calls.
    You play 400bb deep. You're playing deep stack. Your thought process shall be different than playing shallow stacks (100-200bb deep) or short stack (60bb deep and less).
    - How would stack depth impact BU's 3bet range? What would you put him on?
    - Considering your answer, should you (have) 4bet?
    - How does the call of the terrible BB impact your preflop and postflop strategy?
    Some thoughts. Villan can checks his monsters on relative dry flops even against 2 players. I can’t have aces kings and AK on this board, so I decided to check the turn.
    If the end of your sentence is "so I decided to check to FLOP", I'd agree. You don't have initiative and the board isn't that great for you/your capped range.

But on turn, facing 2 Villains including a bad BB and a now more and less capped BU, on a now drawy-ish board, and having a great TP + gutshot... I really don't get why you're not betting?!
    (I'd even think that if you only have 1 street of betting, it would be Turn more than River)

Anything I should learn from this hand?
    How BU played his hand is important:
    - Preflop: Was AJs expected in his 3bet range? Why? If no, where was your hand reading mistake?
    - Postflop: BU played his hand unorthodoxly, esp. on turn. Pretty big info, esp. if Villain is a thinking player. What do you conclude from his line?
  • yuval_er1yuval_er1 Red Chipper Posts: 3 ✭✭
    Hi thanks for your response

About his 3bet range, I don't a have huge sample like an online player, but my guess is - on the tight side A10s - AKs, 22+, KQs, QJs, J10s. On the more aggressive side, we can add KJs-K10s, A8s+, and more SC down to 67s. I don't think he has AQo in 400bb.
    I thought about making a 4bet preflop. The fish joining the pot gives me a +EV for a call, but maybe 4bet is bigger +EV.
    The disadvantages in 4bet, I could be forced to fold a hand that plays well in deep games and I might play 4bet pot OOP with a dominated hand if makes top pair. But when rethinking about this spot, I think 4bet is still the correct play due to his relative wide range + the option to play 4bet pot with the fish in the BB.

What do you think about preflop 4bet? There are disadvantages in both calling and 4bet. How we approach to this decision?

I agree about betting the turn and check the river,

I wrote a note about this player, likes to trap even when the texture is very wet and likes to value bet a wide range. So in this example, set jacks must be a call. AJs was expected in his 3bet range,

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file