Too Passive With AJ

cmanganocmangano Red Chipper Posts: 38 ✭✭
So in my quest to try and get better at figuring out what my opponents ranges could be, I played this hand today in 5NL Zone on Ignition (6 max). I'm curious if I was too passive here and perhaps missed chances to be more aggressive.

100BB Effective stacks

No direct read on villain, but in these games I assume an open raise in his position likely means any pair, any broadway, maybe suited A9, A8, and probably some high suited connectors (T9, 98, 87).

Villain raises 3BB in HJ
Hero calls on button with :Ac:Jd
Folds to villain who calls

So usually I would auto 3 bet here. But given his range hero's equity is 52% and if I face a 4 bet here I am likely pretty far behind. I figure since I have absolute position on him better to flat. Was this a missed spot. Should I be 3 betting here?

Flop: :Jc:Kh:Td

Villain leads out for about 2/3 pot, hero calls. Again I have OK equity over his range but it's nothing crazy. Also there aren't a lot of turn cards I am going to totally hate. But again, maybe raising here is best?

Turn: :7d

Changes nothing. Villain checks, hero checks. When villain checks I feel pretty good I am ahead. Unless he has a weak K like K9 and is worried I have him out-kicked. I check figuring my hand has good showdown value and I would hate to get check-raised by a 2 pair or made straight or something. Looking back now I definitely think I should have bet here. Thoughts?

River: :3c

Again changes nothing and my J is either good or it's not. Villain bets the pot giving me 2:1. I figure I am good here often enough to justify the call and I make the call.

Thoughts on how I played it? Too passive? Just right given the information?

Comments

• kenaceskenaces Red Chipper Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭✭
    I would have 3B preflop

flop is must call NOT raise - think about why - what doesn't raising accomplish?

turn check is good

as played I would fold river assuming pool under bluffs allowing me to fold more bluff catchers
  • cmanganocmangano Red Chipper Posts: 38 ✭✭
    If I raise the flop am I getting second best hands like Tx to fold but not better hands like Kx or draws?

As for the river I thought calling was pretty easy I'm curious why this is a fold?
  • BFSkinnerBFSkinner Red Chipper Posts: 128 ✭✭
    cmangano wrote: »
    As for the river I thought calling was pretty easy I'm curious why this is a fold?

What bluff combos does V have on the river?

Based on my experience in this game I could certainly see him betting any pair and maybe even missed straight draws especially given the fact that I went call, call, check. People really overvalue their hands in this game. Maybe I overvalue mine too lol! I honestly thought at the time I called that there was as much chance as him showing a K as their was him showing a T, 7, or 3.
  • kenaceskenaces Red Chipper Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭✭
    cmangano wrote: »
    If I raise the flop am I getting second best hands like Tx to fold but not better hands like Kx or draws?

Yes if you raise flop or bet turn it is hard to get called by worse and get better to fold.

The river is a bit close - if you solved this it might be a call? Just my guess your pool under bluffs so I would just overfold :)
    I would say yes in general they underbluff, but I also feel like they over value the strength of their hand.

From my experience in these games, I could very easily be up against a hand like QJ/QJs, AT/ATs, T9s, as much as I could be up against KQ/KQs, K9s, QQ or 33. I also wouldn't be surprised to see a hand like 87s where he CBet his gutshot, checked when he hit his bottom pair on the turn, then bet thinking he was good when I checked behind. A7s wouldn't surprise me either (gutshot on the flop, hits bottom pair on turn, thinks I have air on river).

I felt like I could rule out hands like KJ, KT, JT, AQ, AK because those hands likely continue on the turn as would any sets like JJ, KK, TT. 77 likely continues betting on the turn as well.

If I give him the range that I think he would open with and then bet the river, I have 48% equity when I call, and that's if I don't include A7s. If I include that I have 51%.

Like you said it's close and I am going to be behind here at times. And maybe in the long run it's not a call I need to make. I'm still new to all this thinking in poker haha, and I am trying to make more calculated plays rather than just thinking "he's betting he must be strong." As I've begun to pay more attention I notice players in this pool will overvalue 2nd and 3rd pairs so I am trying to not to make as many "big" laydowns (when appropriate).

In any case, that was a long write up and probably more than you wanted to read, lol. Luckily this time I was ahead as he had T9s.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file