Equity Calculation on the Flop

NitinNitin Red Chipper Posts: 5 ✭✭
Villian: :Ad:Kh
Hero : :Js:Ts
Flop: :As:Qd:4s

According to Equilab software at this stage the equity of hero is 43%. Can someone please explain me how?
With proper calculations including outs counting.

Thanks

Regards
Nitin Sharma

Comments

• Doug HullDoug Hull RCP Coach Posts: 1,867 -
    You are behind a pair, so the only realistic way to win is with your straight draw and flush draw. There are 9 spades and 4 kings. One card, :KS: is in both groups. so 12 outs. :KH: is already out (but you only know it because hands are face up. That is 11 outs.

Each card is about 2% of the deck. You get two draws at it. so 44% is the estimate by multiplying by 4. That is pretty close to the 43% given.

My book: Poker Workbook for Math Geeks covers all of this.

Doug
    Co-founder Red Chip Poker,
    Author Poker Plays You Can Use
    Author Poker Workbook for Math Geeks
  • NitinNitin Red Chipper Posts: 5 ✭✭
    Hi Doug,

Indeed Poker Workbook for Math Geeks is an excellent book I highly recommend to anyone.

Doug, i was actually reading equity topic on level 2 Math so, i came across this example and couldn't solve it. I have just finished studying Math at turn chapter from your book.

I agree with your realistic draws the mistake i did was i added 3 outs of J and 3 of 10, thinking there is a possibility even if remote to hit trips on turn and river therefore my outs were 17 (11+6).

So the conclusion is lets take more realistic outs only rather than adding remote possibilities.

Regards
    Nitin Sharma

• TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 3,669 -
    When you need both turn and river, you can't count the outs like that. You're now dealing with conditional probabilities. That said, these running outs do add a little equity, although sometimes that'll be negated by running redraw outs for your opponent.
    Moderation In Moderation
    Think of it this way: To get "runner runner outs" (like for trips from nothing) it is similar to saying you need to win a coin flip once, then if you do, win a coin flip again.

The first coin flip win is 50% of the time. To win the second you must win 50% of the 50% for 25%. Not terrible, except to win the runner runner trips game, you need to win a "3/50 coin flip" then a "2/50 coin flip" for about 6/2500 We just ignore this with little impact on estimate.
    Seem to recall from Miller BDFDs and BDSDs are worth about 1.5 outs.
    Moderation In Moderation
    BDSD come in many flavors. The intial three can have 0,1 or 2 gaps. Each is different. runnung up against being the wheel or broadway can also make a three connector act like a two gapper (AKQ same as 256)
    Kids. When I was your age, the 3-straight didn't have gaps.
    Moderation In Moderation

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file