New PRO material: Update to the update

TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 4,448 -
edited September 2020 in PRO Products
Hey Everyone:

I mentioned recently that our strategic plan for 2020 was to begin with our major overhaul of CORE, then address PRO. I can now give more details on the latter, including some new material that I think is going to be popular.

PRO Navigation. Finding what you want

Those of you who have been here for a while may have noticed that, for the last 2+ years, I've been trying to make PRO more friendly to subscribers. It's a remarkable video library, but finding what you want is not always easy. Moreover, if you're coming to PRO from CORE, the first thing you notice is that the design and pedagogical philosophies are completely different. CORE is a highly-structured course; PRO isn't. Consequently, transitioning from one to the other produces culture shock.

To some extent, this is intentional. Once you've got on top of the poker fundamentals presented in CORE, you are better equipped to follow your own study path. I've always likened this to the differences between an undergraduate program and doing a PhD. In the latter, you've already demonstrated competence in your field. Moving forward, you have the tools to figure out what you want to study. In some ways, PRO is the keys to the research library.

After lengthy discussions and extremely helpful input from you, we've identified a middle ground that we think is going to make the PRO library far more useful. The central idea is simply to organize our current material into "tracks", somewhat similar to the sub-sections of CORE, with added text, links to supporting material from CORE and elsewhere in the library, and ultimately the addition of missions and suggestions for further research.

This is not going to be a rapid process, partly due to back-end limitations of the site, and partly because we didn't solicit the material with this structure in mind. However, that's my problem to solve, and I'll do so as rapidly as possible. The first track with the working title "Analytic Exploitation", is expected to be released next month, with future ones on a roughly monthly cadence. I'll accelerate that if I can, but some other features that I think will appeal are also on my to-do list.

New PRO videos

Many of you have told us you feel that additions to PRO have been thin the last few months. We agree. Starting next Tuesday (8/11) we'll be releasing a new PRO video every week. I've tried to tailor these to areas where I see a need, and for content you have requested. And one of your requests was...

The return of coach w34z3l

Most of the new videos, at least for the next couple of months, will be w34z3l productions. They will lead up to a pre-recorded webinar in November that will focus on the subject of bet sizing. Again, this has been our most requested topic over the last few months, and we couldn't think of anyone better to present it. I'll create a thread a few weeks ahead of that presentation in which we'll solicit questions to be addressed in an extended Q&A segment of the presentation.

Refining CORE

Because of the way most people use CORE, in a somewhat linear fashion, you might not have noticed the magnitude of the changes we made earlier this year. The most obvious is the addition of quiz solutions, but we also upgraded module-to-module links, did a full-course edit, and added some additional missions.

We're now instituting a content review. We live in an exciting period in which poker theory advances every month. While many of the principles in CORE are immutable, others aren't. We have expanded our team to strengthen our stable of poker theorists, and one of their tasks is to identify areas in which CORE content can be improved. Specifics will be described in the CORE thread when they occur.

Wave 2

The changes outlined above are the first of two waves of upgrades. Expect another announcement around early November on our plans for 2021.

A personal thank you

At the risk of stating the glaringly obvious, we live in troubled times. The RCP team is fortunate to be able to work from home, albeit with some added complexities produced by kids home from school, elderly parents who need support, and so on. But I'm aware that many of you are in far worse spots. And even if you're mostly insulated from the negative impacts of COVID19, everyone is existing in this strange, uncertain bubble, that is stressful and anxiety-inducing.

And yet in terms of discussions at the forum, you've all been perfect angels. Honestly, it's blown me away. I was anticipating this stressful backdrop leading to short tempers and me wielding the ban hammer, but nope. Supportive, polite, professional... Thank you, thank you, thank you.

~ Kat

tl;dr We're adding new stuff. You guys rock.
Moderation In Moderation

Comments

• Ori13_TTVOri13_TTV PennsylvaniaRed Chipper Posts: 94 ✭✭
    Thanks for the good news Kat, looks like ill be getting back on the pro membership in the near future
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 4,448 -
    Ori13_TTV wrote: »
    Thanks for the good news Kat, looks like ill be getting back on the pro membership in the near future

Happy to hear that, obviously. Thanks.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • MrBalzterMrBalzter Red Chipper Posts: 65 ✭✭
    Can't get enough of @w34z3l !
    Very happy to hear the Pro library will grow.
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 4,448 -
    Hey everyone:

Quick update on PRO content for the remainder of 2020. As you'll have seen from the new thread on this board, the week of Aug 25th will see kenaces make his debut in our PRO GCS program.

For the rest of the year, we start with three presentations from coach w34z3l. These are in addition to the fleet of new videos by him.

As part of our ongoing efforts to upgrade production quality, the presentations will be prerecorded. However, to incorporate our commitment to community learning and interaction, we want these presentations to include extensive Q&A sections to address your queries. I will create threads on this board for all of w34z3l's presentations with a description of the material covered. If you have any questions relating to these areas, I strongly encourage you to the drop them in the relevant threads, so that they may be addressed explicitly in the videos.

Thanks ~ Kat
    Moderation In Moderation

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file