Professional NLHE by Mehta, Miller, and Flynn

sfx_beigssfx_beigs Red Chipper Posts: 82 ✭✭

Professional NLHE vol 1 was recommended to me and normally I would insta-buy it but I noticed it was published 13 years ago and was wondering how it's theories and tactics have held up over time.

Thanks,
beigs

Comments

• Ori13_TTVOri13_TTV PennsylvaniaRed Chipper Posts: 94 ✭✭
    There are probably more relevant books unless ghere was something specific that person was recommending that book for
  • SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 4,070 -
    If memory serves, the biggest takeaway from that book was SPR. The CORE lesson on SPR and/or my full PRO video on small SPR pots would be more effective and efficient imo.
    📑 Grab my custom poker spreadsheet pack right now.
    📘 Start the Preflop & Math Poker Workbook today.
  • BFSkinnerBFSkinner Red Chipper Posts: 152 ✭✭
    I would read "Applications of NLHE" and "NLHE for Advanced Players" by Matthew Janda. Easy Game by Andrew Siedman is also excellent.
  • sfx_beigssfx_beigs Red Chipper Posts: 82 ✭✭
    The SPR section was the reason it got recommended to me. “Go to the source”. Thanks for the feedback.
  • kenaceskenaces Red Chipper Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭✭
    I really like that book when it first came out but it like 99% of poker books - it is very dated.
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 3,833 -
    At the time I believe it was fairly ground-breaking, largely because there simply wasn't a lot of information on NLHE. If you found a cheap copy at a used bookstore I'd be tempted to pick it up, but I sort of collect poker books and Vegas used bookstores are atypical in what they carry. Agree with Split that the content that is still useful has been subsumed within CORE.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • ImperatorImperator Red Chipper Posts: 899 ✭✭✭
    edited August 14
    A contrarian view:

This book, Flynn, Mehta, and Miller Professional No-Limit Hold'em, is still a very important contribution to poker thinking.

I have read Janda's Applications of Modern Poker Theory, Tipton's Expert Heads Up No Limit Hold'em , Acevedo's Modern Poker Theory, and Cichy's Advanced Concepts of No Limit Hold'em, but the three books I would recommend before reading any of these are Flynn, Mehta, and Miller Professional No-Limit Hold'em, Skansky, Miller No Limit Hold'em: Theory and Practice, and David Sklansky's The Theory of Poker. Those three later books will not give you modern game theory influenced poker theory but they will teach you what you need to already know before you learn modern poker theory. But the best of these three is Professional NLHE.

I will explain why. Professional NLHE acts as a kind of primer for the conceptual foundations of knowing what kind of game NLHE is in the first place. I have yet to find a better written book to provide the basic conceptual foundation of the game you are playing. This book will not give you modern theory but it will teach you how to catch and throw the ball and where to throw it. Or to put it another way, before you learn how to race a car you have to know how to drive it, and practicing the concepts in this book will teach you how to drive.

Let me add that the Skansky, Miller No Limit Hold'em: Theory and Practice is largely definitional and for that alone it is useful. But this is also true of Euclidian geometry but we all know that we can understand the definitions but the real trick is to be able to use the definitions to calculate in the given environment. Learning the basics of these books so that you no longer have to cogitate you can just calculate and see the answer you need to make a decision is what practicing with the concepts of these books are for.

For sure Professional NLHE spends a lot of time on SPR but I have run into poker players, who are much better players than I am, who make SPR mistakes all the time. It is important to be able to make such calculations without cogitations.

It is also true that some work better with videos than books and I know that a lot of the stuff is in these old books are in Red Chip's Core. But the advantage of a book is that it is a reference guide that you can bookmark and go back to.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file