2NL - Two hands, River Bet or Check?

KaldarionKaldarion Red Chipper Posts: 16
edited September 2014 in Online Poker Hands
Hi Red Chip Forum Member

My first post here. I've played poker on and off for a few years and mostly been a loosing player. I've got alot of videos from Splitsuit and love them all. However I haven't been good enough at following his instructions to develop my skills into becoming better a player, so here I am seeking yours and his wisdom once again.

I've have begun playing CG game at the micros on 888poker where I inted to build my bankroll. Part of the progress is posting hand being active on this little forum we've got here. So let's dive right in :)

Hand Nr.1

Pacific $2.00 No Limit Hold'em - 6 players - View hand 2570683
DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

BTN: $2.12 - VPIP: 11, PFR: 7, 3B: 0, AF: 2,0, Hands: 97
Hero (SB): $2.96 - VPIP: 19, PFR: 15, 3B: 8, AF: 4,7, Hands: 623
BB: $2.75 - VPIP: 36, PFR: 22, 3B: 13, AF: 1,0, Hands: 36
UTG: $1.69 - VPIP: 18, PFR: 18, 3B: 0, AF: 1,3, Hands: 33
MP: $14.02 - VPIP: 22, PFR: 14, 3B: 5, AF: 2,0, Hands: 49
CO: $1.64 - VPIP: 43, PFR: 0, 3B: 0, AF: 0,0, Hands: 7

Pre Flop: ($0.03) Hero is SB with Aspade.gif Qdiamond.gif
UTG raises to $0.08, 3 folds, Hero calls $0.07, 1 fold

I'm not quite sure if I'm happy with this call here in the SB or if I should have 3B. I'm leaning towards the 3B but I just didn't want to play OOP in 3B with an overvalued hand. Also since he's opening UTG it's possible that his range is tighter.

Flop: ($0.18) 6diamond.gif 6spade.gif Adiamond.gif(2 players)
Hero checks, UTG bets $0.13, Hero calls $0.13

I think this is fairly standard given the preflop action. I could have gone for the XR because of the possible FD, but I have one blocker to that draw and the :Ad is on the board.

Turn: ($0.44) 3heart.gif(2 players)
Hero checks, UTG bets $0.16, Hero raises to $0.69, UTG calls $0.53

Here I opt for the XR to build the pot since the :3h is a complete brick and I want to build the pot. Any comments on the bet size?

River: ($1.82) 9club.gif(2 players)
Hero bets $1.36, UTG folds

:9c doesn't change anything either and he only has a fraction of the pot left so should I give him the option of putting the rest of his money in the middle or just keep up the initiative I took on the turn?

Hand Nr.2

Similar situiation arises on the turn and river as in hand Nr.1 but I guess wasn't paying enough attention on the flop.

Pacific $2.00 No Limit Hold'em - 6 players - View hand 2570688
DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

BTN: $1.45 - VPIP: 71, PFR: 7, 3B: 0, AF: 3,3, Hands: 14
SB: $1.85 - VPIP: 40, PFR: 30, 3B: 20, AF: 0,0, Hands: 10
BB: $1.90 - VPIP: 80, PFR: 30, 3B: 33, AF: 3,3, Hands: 10
Hero (UTG): $2.20 - VPIP: 19, PFR: 15, 3B: 8, AF: 4,7, Hands: 623
MP: $2.72 - VPIP: 41, PFR: 29, 3B: 14, AF: 6,0, Hands: 17
CO: $4.03 - VPIP: 36, PFR: 15, 3B: 0, AF: 2,5, Hands: 39

Pre Flop: ($0.03) Hero is UTG with Qspade.gif Kdiamond.gif
Hero raises to $0.06, MP calls $0.06, 1 fold, BTN calls $0.06, 1 fold, BB calls $0.04

I think opening here with KQo is ok but I could run into trouble if I'd get 3B by CO or BTN and I'd call and the flop would come :K? or :Q? high. I probaly should also have made it 4x instead of 3x since I'm UTG

Flop: ($0.25) Kclub.gif 4diamond.gif 5spade.gif(4 players)
BB bets $0.02, Hero raises to $0.08, MP folds, BTN calls $0.08, BB calls $0.06

This is just me being careless. This should be an easy raise to .20cents! Missing massive value here!

Turn: ($0.49) 8diamond.gif(3 players)
BB checks, Hero checks, BTN bets $0.02, BB calls $0.02, Hero raises to $0.42, BTN calls $0.40, BB folds

Here I managed to correct somewhat of my previous mistakes. The other two players have shown no actual aggresion and could be any sort of pair here that they are willing to call.

River: ($1.35) Jspade.gif(2 players)
Hero bets $1.35, BTN folds

Is it possible I'm missing out value here by not checking? My opponents in neither of those hands are aggressive and like most at the micros are loose-calling stations. So I think in both cases betting here is the superior option.

Please comment and share your thoughts.

Kaldarion

Comments

• SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 4,071 -
    Kaldarion:

First, welcome to the forum! I'm glad you've enjoyed my videos, and hopefully you'll enjoy my posts as well =) In the future, please start a different thread for each hand so that the conversation can be more focused in each. That being said, let's get started:

Hand 1: AQ

He most certainly is opening tighter from UTG than a different position. That being said, I don't hate a semi-bluff 3bet here. However, once I call, I don't see the reason for CRing the turn. Would he ever fold a better hand to your CR? No. Is he going to continue with many worse hands to your CR? Likely no. So all the CR does is maximize your losses when behind and rarely win you any extra when ahead. Plus, it doesn't allow him a chance to triple barrel bluffs....

Hand 2: KQ

This is a cusp hand UTG at 6max imo, and the less confident you are postflop, the closer to a preflop fold this becomes (again, from UTG specifically).

As played, raise larger on the flop like you said. As played then, fire the turn for value and go from there. It seems like you keep CRing hands that appear strong, but aren't necessarily doing that great if/when villain continues. Yes they worked this time, but I don't expect them to be great in the longrun.
    📑 Grab my custom poker spreadsheet pack right now.
    📘 Start the Preflop & Math Poker Workbook today.
  • Chacarron91Chacarron91 Red Chipper Posts: 20
    Learn to master the Bet/Fold! :) (there was a post on this idea not too long ago in these threads!)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file