5NL: Bovada

Dealt 87s on the button.

3 limpers ahead of me.

Stacks of opponents are:
UTG: 65BB
HJ: 44.5BB
CO: 100BB
Hero: 71BB

My first reaction is to raise here. Maybe limit the field and gain some fold equity. But if called, I can still win a big pot if hit. But... the stacks aren't super deep. Is a raise still a good play here or is better to just see the flop?

I'm still drilling myself on SPR so that's where my brain goes first right now. If I raise to 6 or 7 BB the SPR will be 2 to 5 depending on who calls. If I limp, it'll be between 8 and 14. This hand would rather be at 8-14.

Does the fold equity and initiative mean more to the value of my hand or is the risk/reward for raising just to big because the stack sizes are small?

Comments

• TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 3,833 -
    I think it depends sensitively on what you think the raise will accomplish. If there's a high probability of getting HU IP, I'd go for it.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • sfx_beigssfx_beigs Red Chipper Posts: 82 ✭✭
    Yeah. I’m still trying to erase my limit experience. The idea that much of your value with suited connectors comes from fold equity is hard to reconcile.
  • cxy123cxy123 Red Chipper Posts: 77 ✭✭
    I'd raise. Limping brings SB and BB into the pot as well. Or you get a raise from either and then start facing a bloated pot with a hand that is going to flop 2nd best a lot. My guess is limp-callers will play fit/fold after the flop a lot.

I think folding is fine. Limping behind might be ok bc of the button position but I think it's going to be hard to win MW over the long term.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file