Hand Review

Steve MSteve M Red Chipper Posts: 49 ✭✭
Hello Fellow Red Chippers!

I am sure I am a small percentage of those who have not posted since Covid shut everything down a few months ago. If I may filibuster for a minute, I've been playing live $1-$2 cash games, 2-3 times a week, for about 10 years & within the last 4-5 years, have really become sustainable & found poker leading to better things in life. I live in PA so have been playing through the PokerStars PA app & man... do I hate online poker!

Call it sour grapes, but I have been equating it to ' imagine you've played outdoor soccer your whole life, and out of nowhere, someone comes up to you and says we're now playing only indoor. You'll be fine though, in the end, it's the same game;' ... I mean it is.. but it is sooooooooooooooo not.

I 'paid for my education' years ago.... I don't want to start from square one again.

Anywho... I digress... on to the hand :)

I am not an online player so I will post the hand history, include my analysis... then the hand result after some discussion...

PokerStars Hand #217732026349: Hold'em No Limit ($0.25/$0.50 USD) - 2020/08/30 3:55:51 ET
Table 'Iphigenia' 9-max Seat #2 is the button
Seat 1: crazyangels26 ($69.31 in chips)
Seat 2: Rarely Wins PA ($106.24 in chips)
Seat 4: buteolineatus ($47.50 in chips)
Seat 5: mwarner525 ($18.85 in chips)
Seat 6: awkoch98 ($95.46 in chips)
Seat 7: [email protected] ($24.78 in chips)
Seat 8: KJA0210 ($49.82 in chips)
Seat 9: RSpiel28 ($65.96 in chips)
buteolineatus: posts small blind $0.25
mwarner525: posts big blind $0.50
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Rarely Wins PA [6h 6s]
awkoch98: folds
[email protected]: calls $0.50
KJA0210: folds
RSpiel28: raises $2 to $2.50
crazyangels26: folds
Rarely Wins PA: calls $2.50
buteolineatus: folds
mwarner525: folds
[email protected]: folds

I think this is pretty standard. A player opens to 5x over a limp. We have much more than the 11x bet needed to set mine. I decide to flat call. Don't give much thought to 3-betting since I have a bad hand to do it with for all the standard reasons.

*** FLOP *** [4c 9s 7h]
RSpiel28: bets $5.94
Rarely Wins PA: calls $5.94

We go heads up to the flop. Villain bets full pot on a pretty dry board.

Not going to give up to a pot sized bet on this board. I find the full pot sized bet to lean more towards weak meaning 2 high cards. I think there is some merit to raising here, but I hate life when I get shoved on. Even though he'll have equity, I'm Ok with calling and playing a turn against all his missed high cards.

*** TURN *** [4c 9s 7h] [6d]
RSpiel28: bets $12
Rarely Wins PA: calls $12

Boom... no better card in the deck. It completes some straight draws but he really shouldn't have any of them with his PF raise over a limper. It's now time to take them to value town!

I decide to only call to keep all his bluffs in along with his overpairs. I wasn't too concerned about losing to overpairs since I thought a majority of them would check this turn. Once he bet again, I thought he was a little too polarized, with his hands weighted towards bluffs thinking this may be a card that he felt was good to continue to barrel on to put pressure on single pair hands & there are very little value hands that beat me that made sense.

*** RIVER *** [4c 9s 7h 6d] [8d]
RSpiel28: checks
Rarely Wins PA: ???

Since it is online poker, of course the worst card in the deck is going to hit (c'mon!!!!!)...

The villain checks & here's what I'm thinking...

- When we bet, we bet to make worst hands call... I just couldn't find enough worst hands that would call. I considered betting 1/3 pot, half pot & overbetting the pot but I just couldn't find any worse hands that would call any bets to make it worth it. I strongly weighted him to overpairs & bluffs... either way, I see no merit in betting since they are all folding a majority of the time to a board that favors my range. Maybe a 1/3 pot bet finds some calls from 2 pairs but they really shouldn't be in his range.

- We also bet to make better hands fold... I don't see any straights or higher sets folding to any bet.

- I actually think he can check a straight here to induce a bluff. My range should hit this board pretty strongly & I can value bet a lot of worst hands here. I may be given too much credit to the average online player but I think there are some 10's in their range that stand to be profitable by checking. It will induce me to turn single pair hands into bluffs enough of the time that checking makes a lot of sense to me.

Thoughts???

Comments

• TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 3,833 -
    I fold the flop without thinking too much about it. If I get to the turn and given stacks I prefer a raise. Checking back river is likely okay with a 4-straight on board.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • WumpusWumpus Red Chipper Posts: 2 ✭✭
    Flop – I don’t think the psb on the flop is necessarily weak. I would expect a smaller bet to be a much wider and therefore weaker range and an easier call. You are 130bb effective so he may be looking to build a pot with overpairs and sets. He certainly might be continuing wide here, but I would think its weighted a bit more towards value.

Turn - I assume the plan was to try and take the pot away if he shows weakness. Since he continues to show strength, I think a raise for value makes sense when you hit your gin card. His barreling range has a lot of hands that may not fold (overpairs, 44, 98s, 88, maybe some 5s like A5s or 55). Given two largish bets I’m not sure how many bluffs he’s got here.

River – Given his aggression so far, I think he fires a third barrel if he has a ten. I think he checks everything else. Any value bet is thin. You have showdown value. A check behind seems fine.
  • RyanH1995RyanH1995 Red Chipper Posts: 89 ✭✭
    What makes you think the psb on the flop will be air/overcards most of the time? In my experience when players bet huge on boards they aren't supposed to be betting very often they're usually just playing their hand and trying to get as much value as possible. Flop looks like a clear fold, you have much better hands to continue with and don't need to defend wide vs a huge sizing.

On the turn villain bets big again on one of the better cards in the deck for your range. I would just jam and try to get called by his overpairs and 9x. You only really lose to 99 and 77. I don't think villain has many or any bluffs at this point based on his sizing.

On the river I think villain most likely realized how bad the runout was for his hand/range. I would bet small on the river and try to get calls from overpairs and maybe hands like 98. I doubt this villain ever checks a straight on the river and there aren't really any Tx hands he plays this way.

• BFSkinnerBFSkinner Red Chipper Posts: 152 ✭✭
    Calling flops for PSB with a small pair is usually burning money. Yes you will sometimes spike your 2 outer, but it will also straighten the board and cause your opponent to slow down. Villain has bet a high %PSB twice now. You have about a PSB jam effective in his stack left behind after the turn bet. If he was bluffing, you weren't getting anything else anyway, and you will usually get paid by overpairs.

I play(ed) live but mostly online. Live is far easier. As for online poker. Math is math. Online seems different because there aren't as many weak players as there are live and you see many more hands per hour. If you see many more hands per hour, you will see a lot more cooler hands and bad boards. This is par for the course.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file