Online tourney hand - yay or nay?

Lord_TruffingtonLord_Truffington Red Chipper Posts: 16 ✭✭
Hello forum, here is a hand I played last night? The question: is the river shove correct?

The situation
In a $5.50 tourney, Villain 1 in HJ with 23bb (nitty, 15-12), Villan 2 in CO with 100b (very loose passive, 64-7), Hero in BB with 26bb with :Ad:9h

The action
Preflop: V1 opens for 2bb, V2 calls and Hero calls
Flop comes :As:8c:6c
H checkes, V1 checks, V2 bets 50% pot, H calls, V1 folds

Turn comes :2c
H checks, V2 checks

River comes :Kc
H shoves all in for 22bb in a pot of 15bb. V1 calls

Is the shove the right move? Obviously we could have been against a flush but the fact V2 didnt bet the turn made me think it was not likely. My shove was effectively representing a FD that hit and considering i'm the BB i have almost all the clubs in my range. I put V2's hand a K-high card, or pair of 8s or 6s or total air. My bet was basically to get him to fold anything beside a flush (with a breakeven of about 60%, which i felt was achievable here).

Thoughts? Happy to reveal his hole cards if interested...

Thanks
Lord Truffington

Comments

• fred_cornwell98fred_cornwell98 Red Chipper Posts: 2 ✭✭
  • WumpusWumpus Red Chipper Posts: 2 ✭✭
    I think the shove is a bit ambitious against a player this loose. There are a lot of hands he could have taken a stab with on the flop and checked back turn that may have a club.

The shove is very polarizing. He may think you have the Ac or no club. Are all your value bets shoves on this river? I'm not sure how elastic his calling range is, but would think a bet of 10-12 BB would give you a similar amount of fold equity and leave you with a 10-12 BB stack if you are wrong, rather than out of the tournament.

• TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 3,833 -
    edited September 5
    Given it's a tournament, you probably have significant fold equity even with a small bluff. 35% pot will fold out all non-club hands.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • LoveFishLoveFish IllinoisRed Chipper Posts: 108 ✭✭
    Yup I agree with Kat 1/3 pot even a 1/4 pot sized bet achieves the same as a shove on a 4card flush board In a tourney.
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 3,833 -
    Right, if I agreed with the OP that V never has an A I'd shade to 1/4.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • Lord_TruffingtonLord_Truffington Red Chipper Posts: 16 ✭✭
    Thank you all so much. You're completely right, a shove was way too large of a bet given the situation. Your comments make sense, and I will now go through my hand history in HM3 to see if i've made this mistake in the past as well.
    Much appreciated!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file