Countering limping strategy

ulysses27ulysses27 Red Chipper Posts: 130 ✭✭
I've been noticing something lately. While playing online I've seen a lot more players employing a limp call strategy at both 10nl and 25nl. I used to get a lot of opportunities to 3bet but lately it's been harder to find them. On one table I had one 3bet in 165 hands. That's really unusual for me. The numbers I see from these players are like 20/5 or 18/8 or even 20/1. I would see this occasionally before but now in a full ring you might have 5 or 6 players like this. I'm not sure if this is in reaction to all the 3betting that was going on before and tight players have realized that they can't be 3bet off hands that they limp. The way I've been countering this is by keeping they're whole range intact (I've seem several players limp AA and KK). I was curious what adjustments should be made given this situation.

Comments

• RedRed Red Chipper Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭✭
    Do they rather limp/call or limp/fold ?

Also, you might look to the concept of "Pain Threshold" (I think mostly by Chris Soto and Matt Berkey)
  • ulysses27ulysses27 Red Chipper Posts: 130 ✭✭
    Red wrote: »
    Do they rather limp/call or limp/fold ?

Also, you might look to the concept of "Pain Threshold" (I think mostly by Chris Soto and Matt Berkey)

I would say they limp call 95% of the time. I do use the pain threshold concept but usually with the upper part of my range but I'm wary of doing it with marginal hands like A10s or QJs as these players can often limp premium holdings. I'm trying to figure out the exploit against these players. I could raise to 10bb if I'm in position and see what happens. It would probably increase my variance but it would certainly be an interesting dynamic.
  • RedRed Red Chipper Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭✭
    ulysses27 wrote: »
    ... could raise to 10bb if I'm in position and see what happens. It would probably increase my variance but it would certainly be an interesting dynamic.

Trying starting with 20bb or 25bb - "bombing the limpers".

This was discussed in several RCP podcast as well as on the forum. You should find some easily if you look for them.
    One of them: https://redchippoker.com/attacking-limpers-podcast/
  • ulysses27ulysses27 Red Chipper Posts: 130 ✭✭
    Red wrote: »
    ulysses27 wrote: »
    ... could raise to 10bb if I'm in position and see what happens. It would probably increase my variance but it would certainly be an interesting dynamic.

Trying starting with 20bb or 25bb - "bombing the limpers".

This was discussed in several RCP podcast as well as on the forum. You should find some easily if you look for them.
    One of them: https://redchippoker.com/attacking-limpers-podcast/

Thanks appreciate it.
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 3,833 -
    I suspect the reason this has become more prevalent is that a lot of passive live players are "trying their luck" online. Hopefully you can make them unlucky.
    Moderation In Moderation

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file