5NL pocket 9's

YliKurkiYliKurki Red Chipper Posts: 12 ✭✭
Playing 2 cent/5 cent 6max online. Villain is unknown and this hand was maybe 3th hand that I played at the table. Also the ring wasn't full, we were four handed at the time.

Action gets folded to Hero (5.00€) who raises with :9h:9c to 0.15€
SB (2.80€) calls
Villain from BB (6.07€) 3-bets to 0.35€
Hero calls
SB folds

Flop :3c:Ad:Ah
Villain c-bets for 0.20€
Hero calls

Turn :5d
Villain bets 0.85€
Hero calls

River :Td
Villain bets 2.06€
Hero tank folds

Should I have called on river or did I made a mistake when I called turn? Does unknown villain 3-bet with weak holdings often enough for him to have like QKs or something like that, or does he always have JJ+ AK/AQ? Because it is unlikely that he has an ace and if he had JJ-KK he maybe wouldn't bet for 3 streets so maybe I should have called the river bet also. Whats your thoughts?

Comments

• TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 3,833 -
    You know this player pool probably better than anyone else. IMO there's no such thing as an unknown opponent. You know they're playing 2c/5c at a specific site.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • YliKurkiYliKurki Red Chipper Posts: 12 ✭✭
    Well yeah I know that they play at the same table at the same time as I but not so much more. As sayed, I’ve only played about three hands before the pocket nines against villain so not much information to get from that.
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 3,833 -
    Understood, but your question was about the 3-bet range of villain, and since you play at this site and haven't told us which one it is, your guess at this stage is better than anyone else's.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • PapaGiorgioPapaGiorgio Red Chipper Posts: 96 ✭✭
    What does his bet sizing tell you? He bet ~1/4 pot on the flop, ~2/3 pot on turn, and ~pot on river. If we assume bet sizes scale with hand strength, then these larger bets represent solid hands. Is it possible that he 3B with 55? His turn bet is small because he feels like he should bet but he doesn't have a good hand. But once he connects on the turn, now he starts to bet larger. He's not afraid of the flush draw because he bet pot on the river.

AK/AQ might play this way, too. The small flop bet hoping you call with worse, and he's betting larger on turn and river because he thinks you can't fold if you have AQ/AJ. So the larger bet is a bet of value.

You might have been able to raise his small flop bet to better define his hand. You will be way behind if he calls, but I don't think JJ/QQ/KK, smaller pairs, or unpaired hands call the raise. As played, I'm folding the turn. The increase in bet size suggests that I'm behind to three aces or better.
  • BFSkinnerBFSkinner Red Chipper Posts: 152 ✭✭
    Do players at your stake generally flat in the BB and then donk 3 streets on a double ace board as a bluff? If so, feel free to call down with your 9’s. Somehow I doubt this is a bluff at a high enough frequency to elicit a calldown.

What does his bet sizing tell you? He bet ~1/4 pot on the flop, ~2/3 pot on turn, and ~pot on river. If we assume bet sizes scale with hand strength, then these larger bets represent solid hands. Is it possible that he 3B with 55? His turn bet is small because he feels like he should bet but he doesn't have a good hand. But once he connects on the turn, now he starts to bet larger. He's not afraid of the flush draw because he bet pot on the river.

AK/AQ might play this way, too. The small flop bet hoping you call with worse, and he's betting larger on turn and river because he thinks you can't fold if you have AQ/AJ. So the larger bet is a bet of value.

You might have been able to raise his small flop bet to better define his hand. You will be way behind if he calls, but I don't think JJ/QQ/KK, smaller pairs, or unpaired hands call the raise. As played, I'm folding the turn. The increase in bet size suggests that I'm behind to three aces or better.

Yeah the flop raise would've been a lot more better play than the turn call. Just didn't think of it at the time. Thanks for the analysis!
    BFSkinner wrote: »
    Do players at your stake generally flat in the BB and then donk 3 streets on a double ace board as a bluff? If so, feel free to call down with your 9’s. Somehow I doubt this is a bluff at a high enough frequency to elicit a calldown.

The recreational players tend to play slower their good hands and bluff 3 streets with K3o. But in that spot I didn't know if he was a recreational or a reg.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file