Tournament profitability: ROI vs BB/100

Lord_TruffingtonLord_Truffington Red Chipper Posts: 15 ✭✭
Good morning forum,
yesterday I was doing some analytics work on HM3 to understand the profitability of my tournament game. I am new to poker and I am still wrapping my head around the different concepts but I have a specific questions about ROI vs bb/100.

I group my online tournaments (~850 played so far, or 55k hands) by categories (e.g. $5.50 350-max tourneys, or $7 SitNGos, etc.) and for most categories I have a negative ROI (ranging between -10% and -20%, very unfortunately) but positive bb/100 (ranging between 10 and 25). How should I interpret the difference?

Usually these categories have 100-150 tourney in each (so small size) and I do understand that especially for tourneys you need very large sample, but still I would expect the two metrics to be a bit more aligned.

Many thanks for your help!
Lord Truffington

Comments

• TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 3,833 -
    I'm assuming the positive bb/100 occur in the earlier stages where you haven't busted yet? For tournaments it's a meaningless metric beyond possibly locating blind levels that you play poorly.

The metrics that you might want to focus on are ROI%, ITM% and possibly $/hr, the last of which probably isn't available in HM3.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • Lord_TruffingtonLord_Truffington Red Chipper Posts: 15 ✭✭
    Understood. ITM is decent, across the various tournament categories is 15-20% but unfortunately i rarely run deep and end up busting with min cash or not much more, hence the negative ROI.
    Thanks for the reply.
    Understood. ITM is decent, across the various tournament categories is 15-20% but unfortunately i rarely run deep and end up busting with min cash or not much more, hence the negative ROI.
    Thanks for the reply.

That's a common problem, although one which I would suggest, at least long term, has less to do with fortune and more to do with how you approach the late stages.

Remind me, plz, are you a CORE subscriber? Our newish MTT course by Fox is excellent, and something you can benefit from even as a relative newcomer to the game.
    Moderation In Moderation
    Incidentally, the reason the bb/100 thing is a silly stat for tournaments can be exhibited through example.

Say it's one of these deals where you start with 3000 chips and blinds at 10/20. At this level you win a 300 chip pot. +15bb. Nice.

You get short late at 1000/2000/2000 and ship your remaining 10,000 into the BB who calls and you lose. That loss is -5bb.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • Lord_TruffingtonLord_Truffington Red Chipper Posts: 15 ✭✭
    Yep, I can totally see that, and I agree it has to do with my lack of skills in later stages! 100%!

Indeed, I'm a CORE member and i'm doing the MTT course (I love it), it's helping a lot! I actually won in a satellite a seat in the WCOOP Main Event of Sunday so fingers crossed for the big one! :)

On a separate note, I posted a hand review but in the wrong group (in Local Home Group), is it possible to change it? I seem to be able to only edit the text, not the category.

Many thanks!
    Moved.

Okay good, that CORE course is first rate.
    Moderation In Moderation

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file