AA NL10 3bet pot

Gary1258Gary1258 Red Chipper Posts: 13 ✭✭
Pacific Poker - $0.10 NL - Holdem - 8 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

Villain is playing 22/13 over 149 hands. Fold to 3bet 75% (6 of 8) and has shown up previously with a ton of weak hands at showdown (loves to chase flushes and straights). As a relative beginner these sort of spots oop are killing me where I bet 2 streets for value and check the river on a scare card. Should I be barrelling a 3rd time in this spot? Do I need to rethink my strat OOP and maybe check earlier in the hand? Didn't want to give free cards and villains range is wide, lots of Qx.
I bet roughly 2/3 pot for value on flop/turn. Generally I cbet smaller in 3 bet pots, around a half, so given the vulnerability of my hand post flop, should I bet smaller?

UTG+1: 141.7 BB
MP: 100 BB
MP+1: 127.7 BB
CO: 113.5 BB
BTN: 100 BB
SB: 105.9 BB
Hero (BB): 111.9 BB
UTG: 100 BB

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, Hero posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has A:heart: A:club:

fold, fold, fold, fold, CO raises to 2.8 BB, fold, fold, Hero raises to 9.4 BB, CO calls 6.6 BB

Flop: (19.3 BB, 2 players) 9:spade: 3:diamond: Q:diamond:
Hero bets 12.7 BB, CO calls 12.7 BB

Turn: (44.7 BB, 2 players) 7:club:
Hero bets 29.5 BB, CO calls 29.5 BB

River: (103.7 BB, 2 players) J:diamond:
Hero??

Comments

• TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 3,833 -
    I wouldn't advocate too much checking on this board on early streets, but your sizing could come down a bit.
    I imagine on the end you're worried about flushes. Note that the board blocks many of V's natural flushes.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • kenaceskenaces Red Chipper Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭✭
    3BSQ should be larger ~15bb

So happens that I have been working on this spot for a HU spot SB vs CO(below ignores the 3-way situation)

The solver mixes AA into several lines/bet sizes but never checks the flop.

After 2/3 CB the easiest simplification with AA is to 50/50 jam turn and CRAI with combos that don't have the Ad. Bet something like 50% of the pot on turn with combos that have the As.

As played the Jd might be the 2nd worst card in the deck for your range(8d has to be nut worst card?) so just check fold the river.
    kenaces wrote: »

As played the Jd might be the 2nd worst card in the deck for your range(8d has to be nut worst card?) so just check fold the river.

Worse than the remaining Qs? Fascinating. Solver solutions never cease to amaze me.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • kenaceskenaces Red Chipper Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭✭
    TheGameKat wrote: »
    kenaces wrote: »

Worse than the remaining Qs? Fascinating. Solver solutions never cease to amaze me.

Pretty sure because there are more combos of 2P/flush/straight than trip Q, and even more so as we block AQ.

Yeah, solvers are fun - now if I could only remember everything!
    I hear that.

As noted above, I figured this was a sort of self-blocking board for flushes, particularly combined with the preflop action, but I guess if V's range has all the AXdd stuff it can dominate. Plus straights/2pr as you say.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • Gary1258Gary1258 Red Chipper Posts: 13 ✭✭
    Can I ask why the large bet sizing pre flop - 15bb's? I've been working through Core and the Adam advocates a 3 bet sizing of 2.5-4x. 15bb's is way above that level.
    Is the idea to make post flop easier to play to get stacks in by the turn? What about 3 bet spots with the other parts of my range QQ/KK etc. Similar sizing?
    edited September 18
    OOP I think Adam favors 4. My default at this depth is 4.5, although I can't remember why. I guess this is a 3-bet versus a steal, so maybe that boosts it.

Or does 3BSQ reference indicate @kenaces sees a ghost overcaller of the open?
    Moderation In Moderation
  • Gary1258Gary1258 Red Chipper Posts: 13 ✭✭
    Ah ok 3BSQ refers to a squeeze, makes sense. Yeah there wasn't an overcaller so 4x or a little more OOP is understandable. I have additional questions though now sorry. I could start a new thread if you'd prefer.
    Are we happy raising to 4x in this kind of spot regardless of our holding? I've tended to keep my 3bets from the blinds when restealing (my range is wider) a little smaller to keep the SPR higher post flop.
    e.g. there are a number of FR regs (888) who raise to 4x as a standard OR. Re-raising to 4x OOP in these situations creates a SPR of less than 3 on the flop assuming 100bb's effective if villain calls, This is the adjustment most of them are making rather than 4 betting,
    Do I need to potentially adjust my cbetting strategy here? As is recommended in Core I have increased my cbet % in these 3bet pots with success so far.
    Apologies I know these questions can often have situationally dependant answers.
    I would think quite a lot of your OOP 3-bet range doesn't mind a low SPR? Or more accurately, perhaps, 4x is a fairly standard OOP 3-bet size, thus the range with which you take that action should be constructed to work with such an SPR. That said, when a significant amount of the outcome tree is "win pre", the importance of the resulting SPR drops.
    Moderation In Moderation

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file