How to get the most out of coaching?

MrBalzterMrBalzter Red Chipper Posts: 65 ✭✭
Hello,

I plan to have my first 1 on 1 coaching session in a couple of weeks and I am looking for advice on what I should do to prepare.

Suggestions?

Thanks.
Tagged:

Comments

• TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 4,400 -
    Depends on the coach. If you're getting a free "let's see if we can work together" session, jot down a list of areas you feel need work, and ask how the coach likes to organize future sessions and address such issues.

Have they asked you for any HHs or anything? My approach is to ask potential students to send me a full HH from a tournament they played recently and went relatively deep in. Before we meet or they've paid me for anything, I'll go through it to get a feel for their current knowledge. I'll email them a brief analysis, how much I think I can help, and if they want to continue we schedule a paid session.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • MrBalzterMrBalzter Red Chipper Posts: 65 ✭✭
    I plan to go with @w34z3l
    I have a 10 min "lets see meeting" and will go from there.
    I just want to know good questions to ask that may not be obvious to someone who hasn't done this before.
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 4,400 -
    I'd ask what work he expects you to do and why he thinks it'll make you a better poker player. Given his highly-analytical, data-driven approach, I imagine it'll be based largely on your data. I have no doubt he'll find a lot of things where you can improve your ranges and frequencies. So check that's the plan, and if you're happy basically having a detailed leakbuster analysis by one of the best in the business, I think you'll be all set.
    Moderation In Moderation

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file