Facing a min3bet OOP

BadprimeribBadprimerib Red Chipper Posts: 9 ✭✭
More and more frequently I’ve been running into people making a min3bet in position and it’s been very frustrating to play against. It’s essentially seizing the initiative from me and also does a good job at removing the top of my range when I just call. This is compounded by the fact that I play on global poker so I don’t have a HUD and really can’t range them well. Has anyone figured out what this range typically consists of? What strategies have you employed against it successfully?

Comments

• TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 4,448 -
    That sounds like a sufficient nuisance that I'd go old school to do population analysis. Every time you raise from up front, note when you get 3-bet (specifically min 3-bet if you want). That frequency will provide an estimate of the range you're facing, at least in a population sense.
    My guess is you'll find it lower than you expect, and that it's being psychologically inflated on the grounds it's a PITA and you haven't figured out how to combat it yet.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • ulysses27ulysses27 Red Chipper Posts: 172 ✭✭
    In my experience playing 10nl and 25nl the player profile who does this plays a lot of hands usually with a VPIP over 50 and they 3 bet with the top 15% of their range. I would use the 15% 3bet as a guide but it can be as high as 25%. These players also tend to be spewy and so I'm careful with 4 betting. I had a player do it with 42s. This was extreme but they tend to be gamblers and have no problem throwing money in the pot. This can be good if you hit value because they don't like to fold. I tend to play pretty straight forward with these players. I move to a check call mode and only check raise with the nuts and when I check raise I do it big because they most often call.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file