Flopped set on wet board

ulysses27ulysses27 Red Chipper Posts: 140 ✭✭
So this is a spot I struggle with, flopping a set on a dynamic board. Sometimes I play it aggressive and sometimes passive depending on the other players. In this instance I decided to play it passive because the main V seemed pretty spewy. Not sure if that was the right move or not. I could've check raised the flop say to 4x V's bet which would give draws and Qx some pretty tough decisions but that would definitely put it into a situation of playing for stacks with such a low SPR. I'm curious what others would have done in this situation.

NL Holdem 0.25(BB)
EP ($18.73) [VPIP: 12.6% | PFR: 9.7% | AGG: 30.2% | Flop Agg: 28.8% | Turn Agg: 32.3% | River Agg: 30.4% | 3-Bet: 5.3% | 4-Bet: 16.7% | Hands: 447]
MP ($19.53) [VPIP: 94.7% | PFR: 15.8% | AGG: 36.8% | Flop Agg: 58.8% | Turn Agg: 9.1% | River Agg: 30% | 3-Bet: 10% | 4-Bet: 0% | Cold Call: 92.3% | Hands: 19]

HERO ($88.15)

Dealt to Hero: 9:heart: 9:diamond:

UTG Folds, EP Raises To $0.50, MP Calls $0.50, HJ Folds, HERO Calls $0.50, BTN Folds, SB Folds, BB Folds

Hero SPR on Flop: [9.85 effective]
Flop ($1.85): 4:heart: 9:spade: Q:spade:
EP Checks, MP Bets $1.75 (Rem. Stack: $17.28), HERO Calls $1.75 (Rem. Stack: $85.90), EP Folds

Turn ($5.35): 4:heart: 9:spade: Q:spade: K:diamond:
MP Bets $5.06 (Rem. Stack: $12.22), HERO Calls $5.06 (Rem. Stack: $80.84)

River ($15.47): 4:heart: 9:spade: Q:spade: K:diamond: 5:spade:
MP Checks, HERO ?

MP shows: J:diamond: T:heart:

MP wins: $14.62

Comments

• PapaGiorgioPapaGiorgio Red Chipper Posts: 101 ✭✭
    I would check river. You have to ask "what worse hands call if I bet?". Here, i do not think anything worse than a straight will call.

I prefer a raise on the flop. This board hits a wide range, and that range will likely call a raise. I'm thinking Qx bets and will call now, but would check-fold on K/8/spade turn. Thus, I'm looking to get more money in the pot before the board turns scary. Also, I would likely raise as a semibluff with many hands, so trips helps to protect those hands.
  • RedRed Red Chipper Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 30
    You should have got stacked (yet win in the long run). Not raising flop with the absolute nuts (bc both V shall not have QQ) without blocking draws or second bests is letting a ton of value on the table.
  • BFSkinnerBFSkinner Red Chipper Posts: 153 ✭✭
    You say opponent is spewy, but you give him no opportunity to spew his stack by raising. I agree with Red that raising the flop is likely superior, however, you can still recover and jam the turn as he has less than a PSB left for the river (if you call). If you aren't raising with 99 here, what are you raising with?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file