10NL AK vs flop RR

tomodogoodtomodogood Red Chipper Posts: 3 ✭✭
Hi all,
This hand came up and was wondering what you all thought.
Villain playing 33/22 over 162 hands.

Yatahay Network - $0.10 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 5 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4: http://www.pokertracker.com

UTG: $13.13
CO: $22.98
Hero (BTN): $20.87
SB: $10.02
BB: $10.00

SB posts SB $0.05, BB posts BB $0.10

Pre Flop: (pot: $0.15) Hero has Kc As
UTG raises to $0.25, CO calls $0.25, Hero raises to $1.00, fold, fold, fold, CO calls $0.75

Flop : ($2.40, 2 players) Ad 8h Td
CO checks, Hero bets $1.60, CO raises to $3.20, Hero calls $1.60

Turn : ($8.80, 2 players) 2h
CO bets $6.60

Have seen villain call with "cusp" range hands.
Think the PF 3 bet is ok, think the c bet is ok.
Was thinking the call is questionable - my line of thinking was if I call and villain checks back I'd check and try to get to showdown.
With the min RR and then 3/4 bet on turn I'm now thinking that I'm way behind.
Thanks in advance for your thoughts

Comments

• PapaGiorgioPapaGiorgio Red Chipper Posts: 101 ✭✭
    Check-raises at this limit often suggest trips or better. I would have expected the check-raise to come on the turn had this not been a draw-heavy board. I'll include two pair in the check-raise, too. Villain has to have demonstrated aggressive tendencies with draws before I include them in his range. I would call if I have backdoor equity, but at 10NL, I'm folding without it.

I understand your reasoning for a call, but what would villain put you on once you call? I think AK/AQ. His turn bet then makes sense as it would be hard for TPTK or TP2K to fold.
  • CriminalBizzyCriminalBizzy Las VegasRed Chipper Posts: 33 ✭✭
    Getting check raised is never a good feeling when you don't have the nuts. What does your range construction for villain look like? Do you have a range for yourself that you should be representing? From what you posted it seems as if villain could be calling wide considering that you are playing 5 handed.

In my opinion I see a lot of 8x, Tx, Jx, some possible Ax, and pocket pairs in villains range. Taking into consideration that UTG folded to your 3 bet, I think this increases the likelihood that villain could have an Ax hand but its still not very probable based on the cards that we know are out there (As and Ad).

The range I constructed for villain is a generous one in my opinion but even then on the flop you have 74% equity and on the turn 79% equity (I did not narrow the range down on any of the streets). So now the question becomes are you good enough times to make a profitable call on the turn? Does the check raise then bet on the turn mean strength or weakness? Do you have anymore stats that you could provide? Do we know how often villain is calling 3 bets? How often is villain check raising on the flop? What kind of player pool are you playing against? While I am inclined to think that villain may have bottom set, middle set, or a possible two pair (my thoughts would be ATo), I think this discussion leans towards player tendencies. If you think that villain is aggressive and may be trying to bet you off of your hand then I wouldn't hate a call on the turn but if villain has been playing it tight and does not tend to show aggression except for hands that do well in showdown, then I prefer a fold on the turn.
  • tomodogoodtomodogood Red Chipper Posts: 3 ✭✭
    Thanks for the comments.
    Appreciate the feedback - lots for me to think about now and while playing.
    Looking for this hand in PT

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file