Re-draw to the nuts?

CriminalBizzyCriminalBizzy Las VegasRed Chipper Posts: 33 ✭✭
This is a hand that I played that I am not sure if I could extract more value from or if there really isn't much else I could have done differently about the way I played it.

Blinds are $0.05/$0.10
Villain starts the hand with 23.08 (effective)
Hero starts the hand with 26.56

Villain is a thinking poker player that will frequently make plays that are based on range vs range. Often times making exploitative plays based on range and the board.

In this hand we are playing 5 handed and hero is dealt :AC::QC: in the BB.

Villain is first to act under the gun and limps in. Action folds around to Hero and hero raises to $0.40. Villain calls. Pot is $0.85

Flop comes :AH::3C::5C:

Hero decides to check. Villain bets $0.60 and hero calls. Pot is $2.05

Turn comes :4C:

Hero checks again hoping for another bet. Villain bets $1.45 and hero calls. Pot is $4.95.

River comes :8C:

Hero bets $3.30 and villain calls.

Hero wins the pot of $11.55. Villain later told me that they had :AD::2C:

Should hero be more aggressive to try and get other draws to fold or is it fine the way hero played?

Comments

• blindraiseblindraise Red Chipper Posts: 308 ✭✭
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 3,933 -
    edited October 13
    Why would you want other draws to fold when you have 90% of them dominated and a redraw to crush nearly all the ones you don't?

Also, you describe the opponent as a "thinking" player. To me that suggests someone who has studied the game and is competent. That is not a description one could use for this villain based on their action.

I'd just lead flop.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • CriminalBizzyCriminalBizzy Las VegasRed Chipper Posts: 33 ✭✭
    TheGameKat wrote: »
    Why would you want other draws to fold when you have 90% of them dominated and a redraw to crush nearly all the ones you don't?

Also, you describe the opponent as a "thinking" player. To me that suggests someone who has studied the game and is competent. That is not a description one could use for this villain based on their action.

You are right, I don't want all draws to fold. When I typed out the question I was being a little focused on villains hand since since their card blocked my straight flush... I also agree that my description does not match villain's actions but villain also tries unorthodox plays when playing against me. I am not defending villains action but this hand did get me thinking about what I could have done differently. I feel like I played the hand a little to reserved and definitely felt that I could have been more aggressive. I just wanted a second opinion to validate my thoughts about the hand.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file