Picking Bluff Spots

CriminalBizzyCriminalBizzy Las VegasRed Chipper Posts: 33 ✭✭
This is a hand that I recently played and I am just wondering if I picked a bad spot to bluff.

Blinds are $0.30/$0.60
Table is 9 max but we only have 5 players seated

Villain starts the hand with $43.05
Hero starts the hand with $32.78 (effective)

Hero is dealt :JH::QS: in MP/HJ

The player pool is over all loose. Frequently I am getting to showdown and finding off suit non-connecting air hands or just some broad way hand that whiffs the board. Often I will see donk shoves where villain is dominated.

Preflop it folds to hero who raises to $1.80 (3xbb). Fold, villain calls from the button. Blinds fold. Pot is $4.50.

Flop comes :9S::KS::AS:

I decide to make a c-bet here since I have the Queen of Spades in my hand. If another spade comes I have the nuts plus possible straight draws. I make the bet for $3 and villain calls. Pot is $10.50

Turn is :2C:

This card shouldn't change much and I think about slowing down for a second before I decide to fire another bet. I bet $7 and villain thinks a bit before calling. Pot is $24.50.

River is :8H:

I miss all my draws and for a quick second I think about checking but quickly dismiss that as I am not sure if villain would check back. It also doesn't make much sense for me to check if I have been the aggressor this entire time. Since I have the Queen of Spades in my hand I decide this might be a good spot to bluff. Unfortunately if I don't think any sizing less than me going all in would work here.... So I decide to shove all in for $20.98 and cross my fingers. Villain calls and shows up with :TS::8S:

Comments

• TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 3,933 -
    Is that an open? I don't play 5-max, but full-ring from HJ I fold that. Given that you're half stacking (why?) I guess that may make it a better open.

My guess is this is one of the spots that, if you c-bet, you're probably supposed to triple barrel, at least without specific reads on villain.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • CriminalBizzyCriminalBizzy Las VegasRed Chipper Posts: 33 ✭✭
    TheGameKat wrote: »
    Is that an open? I don't play 5-max, but full-ring from HJ I fold that. Given that you're half stacking (why?) I guess that may make it a better open.

My guess is this is one of the spots that, if you c-bet, you're probably supposed to triple barrel, at least without specific reads on villain.

If we had all 9 seats filled, I might consider a fold preflop as well. It just depends on the table's dynamic. It just so happens to be that is the way the session was going and when I find myself in this hand, that is how much I have in my stack.

When you say "supposed to triple barrel" are you implying that GTO might prefer a triple barrel or just saying that if I decide to go with I should be committed?
    Two points.

First, you always have the opportunity to top off your stack to (typically) 100bb. All of our coaches recommend doing so unless you have a specific reason not to.

I don't know what GTO says here, so I'd be interested in any of our solver experts chiming in. I'm basing that statement primarily on what I understand of population analysis. Given the folding frequency of the population and the fact you have the nut semi-bluff, I suspect that once you c-bet the optimal line is a triple barrel. If this particular pool is so loose-passive that calling frequencies are abnormally high, that may not be the case.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • ulysses27ulysses27 Red Chipper Posts: 140 ✭✭
    If the table dynamic is as loose as you say, it might be tough to get this bluff through. Is v likely to call with all his Ax hands? Also since both of you are short stacked that effects bluffs too. 3 barrel bluffs are tough with only 50bb. By the river you've already committed so much of your stack but so has v. So what hands is v going to fold when they are getting such a great price? K10 with the 10 of spades?
    TheGameKat wrote: »
    First, you always have the opportunity to top off your stack to (typically) 100bb. All of our coaches recommend doing so unless you have a specific reason not to.

I don't always top off. Sometimes I just play my stack through until I bust before I rebuy... mainly because I don't want to get used to playing only "deepstack" with 100 BB. So I try to mix it up a little to give myself experience with different depths of stack sizes.
    ulysses27 wrote: »
    Is v likely to call with all his Ax hands? Also since both of you are short stacked that effects bluffs too. 3 barrel bluffs are tough with only 50bb. By the river you've already committed so much of your stack but so has v. So what hands is v going to fold when they are getting such a great price? K10 with the 10 of spades?

I can't really say if they are the type of player that will be calling down with all of their Ax hands. When I start to think of the player pool that I have been playing with I think a lot of straight draw, single pairs hands, and two pair hands will call down.

I think you have a good point about the stack size. It is a little tough to 3 barrel bluff, a lesson that I learned the hard way. I am not so sure that villain is getting such a great price though... villain is getting about 2.15 : 1 pot odds and still has 8 spades out there with two that beat him. Which is what I tried to represent, my question now is how far out there was I to try and bluff it the way I did... If I put myself in villains shoes I have a hard time folding Tx spades on the flop but if I am met with aggression then I may start to question if there is a better flush out there since I block the straight flush.
    If you like playing different stack depths, I invite you over to the dark side. MTTs!
    Moderation In Moderation
    Oh I do play MTT @TheGameKat ! I just don't enjoy online MTT as much... plus I have been wanting to focus more on my cash game poker game... cash game game? Not sure how that should be worded lol.
    Oh I do play MTT @TheGameKat ! I just don't enjoy online MTT as much... plus I have been wanting to focus more on my cash game poker game... cash game game? Not sure how that should be worded lol.

Ha ha, "cash game" will suffice, I think.
    Moderation In Moderation

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file