Defending blinds

RhallRhall Red Chipper Posts: 4 ✭✭
Hi all, new to NLHE and learning some preflop charts. Redchips preflop chart has a very tight range for early position/blinds; AJo and K9s are folds. But if I look up “defending blinds” I find some charts that include all the way down to A2o, T2s.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/upswingpoker.com/big-blind-defend-strategy-mtt-vs-cash/amp/
Obviously people have different approaches and charts aren’t everything, but there must be something more to explain this. Am I misinterpreting?

Best Answer

Answers

• TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 4,249 -
    I imagine you're referring to our Bulletproof ranges? As the text around them explains, they are indeed tight ranges that are designed to avoid beginner players getting into marginal postflop spots. OOP is particularly difficult to handle without a skill edge, hence the tight recommendations for BB defense.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • RhallRhall Red Chipper Posts: 4 ✭✭
    I guess the huge difference in the charts just shows the weakness of charts in general considering how many variables there are. I do play live and am a newb so will stick with a tighter range but it’s interesting to see what else is out there.
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 4,249 -
    Rhall wrote: »
    I guess the huge difference in the charts just shows the weakness of charts in general considering how many variables there are. I do play live and am a newb so will stick with a tighter range but it’s interesting to see what else is out there.

The trick usually is to read the fine print, which sometimes isn't there, if you see what I mean. BB defense is particularly sensitive to the precise scenario.

FYI: I just checked with our production team because I was puzzled to see those ranges you linked still on site. Turns out I just don't know what week it is. This coming Monday is the launch date for a revision of those charts.
    Moderation In Moderation

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file