How did I play this hand?

csilvermancsilverman Red Chipper Posts: 4 ✭✭
.10/.25 NL 9-max online
I'm in the BB with 3s3h (56.02 in my stack)
Folds around to button who opens to .75 (33.64 in stack, I have no read on them)
SB folds
I call
Flop- Kh8s3d

I check with the intention of check raising. My logic is that my hand isn't vulnerable as there are not many flush/straight possibilities on this board.

Button bets 1.26 (pot is now 2.78)
I raise to 4 (pot- 6.78)
Button re raises to 9.74 (pot- 15.26)
I call

Turn- 5c
I check
Button bets 7.77 (pot- 27.80)
I call (pot- 34.79)

River- 5d
I check
Button goes all in for 15.13 (pot- 49.92)
I call

Button shows 8c8h

After the button re raised me on the flop I narrowed his range to pocket Ks, pocket 8s, and pocket Aces. After the hand was completed I plugged it into pokercruncher (i have a mac so no flopzilla) and saw that I had 47% equity, so I think calling the re raise was definitely correct.

When he bets the turn I start to think its more likely that hes holding Ks or 8s than Aces, so I adjust the weight of his range on pokercruncher to say he would only have played Aces here 50% of the time. I now have 33% equity according to pokercruncher and was getting 3.5 to 1 to call. Even though I had the equity to continue, I felt like I was probably beat at this point and maybe should have folded.

In hindsight I definitely should have folded the river. I adjusted the weight of his range once again to say he would have played Aces this way 25% of the time, which means I only had 20% equity on a 3.2 to 1 call.

I would really appreciate some feedback on how I played this hand. Should I have folded the turn even though the pot odds said to continue? Did I construct his range correctly?Building off the pot odds question: when, if ever, should you go against what the pot odds say? Like I said I was pretty sure I was beat when he bet the turn but continued because I estimated that my pot odds were still too good to fold.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• RedRed Red Chipper Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When you check-raise flop, what are your bluffs? How many bluffs do you have?
  • LexthenextLexthenext Red Chipper Posts: 21 ✭✭
    I don’t like the check raise line here because your are basically never bluffing on this texture. For that reason, I think a semi small sizing would be better. Nonetheless I don’t think it matters much in this particular scenario. You both flopped sets. It’s just a cooler. But you should def be betting the flop imo.
  • ulysses27ulysses27 Red Chipper Posts: 170 ✭✭
    The one thing I've noticed about 25nl is that players still overplay the middle of their range. That means AK raises here and is putting all the money in because AK is a great opening hand. I would find it very difficult to get away from this hand. I'm often surprised when I think I'm paying someone off only to find they were barreling with the middle of their range and I was at the top of mine. The one problem with check raising the turn is that you don't have a lot of bluffs on this board. I think it might have been better to check raise the turn but probably either way the money goes in. If you had more info on V then maybe a fold but with little info it's tough.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file