River decision against very loose player

ulysses27ulysses27 Red Chipper Posts: 164 ✭✭
So V is obviously playing a lot of hands. I had a hand with V in which he triple barreled with air but I saw him do the same with good hands too. He has to have a lot of bluffs because of the amount of hands he's playing. What was challenging for me is that I'm at the bottom of my range here. His river bet is polarizing especially after two small bets. Because I'm not showing a lot of strength this bet makes sense with a bluff. I have a challenge hand reading with this type of play because he could be betting with J2s or 22 or K10o. If I had A10 or something higher in my range that makes things easier but there aren't many Ax holdings that I'm beating. Against most players I respect a big river bet but it's tough here.

Preflop: I don't see much point in 3 betting here. This player would probably 4 bet and then I would have to fold. I have a hand with decent equity that would like to see a flop.

Flop: I have top pair against a player with an extremely wide range but I'm not strong enough to check raise nor do I have any semi bluffs to do that with.

Turn: This card should help my range more then V's except his range is so wide. V increases his bet size which usually means strength but I'm still ahead of a lot of V's range.

NL Holdem 0.10(BB)

HERO ($13.58)
HJ ($9.71) [VPIP: 89.3% | PFR: 64.3% | AGG: 64.3% | Flop Agg: 66.7% | Turn Agg: 54.5% | River Agg: 70% | 3-Bet: 53.8% | 4-Bet: 100% | Hands: 29]

Dealt to Hero: 5:spade: A:spade:

UTG Folds, HJ Raises To $0.20, CO Folds, BTN Folds, SB Folds, HERO Calls $0.10

Hero SPR on Flop: [21.13 effective]
Flop ($0.45): 7:club: A:heart: J:diamond:
HERO Checks, HJ Bets $0.22 (Rem. Stack: $9.29), HERO Calls $0.22 (Rem. Stack: $13.16)

Turn ($0.89): 7:club: A:heart: J:diamond: 4:spade:
HERO Checks, HJ Bets $0.66 (Rem. Stack: $8.63), HERO Calls $0.66 (Rem. Stack: $12.50)

River ($2.21): 7:club: A:heart: J:diamond: 4:spade: 2:heart:
HERO Checks, HJ Bets $2.21 (Rem. Stack: $6.42), HERO ? (Rem. Stack: $10.29)
HJ shows: 7:spade: J:spade:

HJ wins: $6.30

Comments

• TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 4,257 -
    FWIW our GTO ranges suggest a 3-bet pre. Against this player is there really a need to fold to a 4-bet?

As played, interesting V has sized up every street. I dunno I struggle to fold top pair against someone I have seen triple-barrel bluff, but maybe the sizing dictates it.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • ulysses27ulysses27 Red Chipper Posts: 164 ✭✭
    TheGameKat wrote: »
    FWIW our GTO ranges suggest a 3-bet pre. Against this player is there really a need to fold to a 4-bet?

I was a little concerned about 3betting against a player who is so willing to bomb the pot with air. And since A5s is in the middle of my range I didn't think it was necessary to bloat the pot. The reason I think I would fold that to a 4 bet is because so many Ax hands have us beat that unless a flush draw comes I'm drawing pretty thin even with an A on the board. Is there a mistake in my thinking?
  • RodrigocfRodrigocf Red Chipper Posts: 2 ✭✭
    In these situations i normally count the combos, like Ed Miller does in his book. I play microstakes, i don't know many things, but count combos + plus Equity helped me to win Big 3.30 in Pokerstars. Being simple, I think u are behind if we see the combos (AJ, 77, JJ - unimproved, A7-AA, J7). The river shows me he had something better than A5 considering the bet sizing.
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 4,257 -
    ulysses27 wrote: »
    TheGameKat wrote: »

I was a little concerned about 3betting against a player who is so willing to bomb the pot with air. And since A5s is in the middle of my range I didn't think it was necessary to bloat the pot. The reason I think I would fold that to a 4 bet is because so many Ax hands have us beat that unless a flush draw comes I'm drawing pretty thin even with an A on the board. Is there a mistake in my thinking?

Villain has an insanely wide raising range. If you 3-bet that range, they are stuck with a load of junk. What are they going to do with it? Given their aggression, they either fold a lot giving you a massive auto-profit spot, or they 4-bet similarly widely. I'd be looking to 5-bet jam A5s against such an opponent if stacks are right.
    Moderation In Moderation

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file