Set over set

GwesynGwesyn Red Chipper Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited January 12 in Online Poker Hands
Hi all,

I play mostly 10c/25c 6 max tables. However this morning I tried 9 handed and mentally prepared my self that I would have to tighten up somewhat. I would appreciate your critical analysis on how I played the following hand. I have very little info on the players. It was only a few hands in
No Limit ($0.10/$0.25 USD)

Table:9-max

Folds to Villan in hj ($27.88 in chips before hand) raises $0.50 to $0.75

Hero in co (stack of $22.49 in chips before hand is played) calls with 8s 8c

Button: calls $0.75

Blinds fold

*** FLOP *** [8h Jd 2d]

Villan: bets $1.25

Hero: raises $2.99 to $4.24

Button folds

Villan: raises $5.76 to $10

Hero raises $11.74 to $21.74 and is all-in

Villain calls $11.74

*** TURN *** [8h Jd 2d] [Tc]

*** RIVER *** [8h Jd 2d Tc] [4s]

*** SHOW DOWN ***

Villan shows [Jc Jh] (three of a kind, Jacks)

Hero shows [8s 8c] (three of a kind, Eights)

I would appreciate your feedback particularly pertainig to:

-Should I have threebet pre?
-By raising the flop am I only folding out worse and only better continue. Therefore is calling a better strategy?
- Is / would folding have been an option at some stage if I just called?
-I raised to get draws to call and to protect my hand - in that respect...was I being risk averse?

If you could provide feedback on this and anything else I would be grateful

Thanks

John

Comments

• TheGameKatTheGameKat Posts: 4,257 -
    Gwesyn wrote: »
    Hi all,

-Should I have threebet pre?
    -By raising the flop am I only folding out worse and only better continue. Therefore is calling a better strategy?
    - Is / would folding have been an option at some stage if I just called?
    -I raised to get draws to call and to protect my hand - in that respect...was I being risk averse?

If you could provide feedback on this and anything else I would be grateful

Thanks

John

I might 3-bet pre, partly to knock the button out, but flatting is probably standard. Folding isn't completely out of the question.

Calling may be better on the flop, but I wouldn't worry about only getting called by better if you raise. Stick in some ranges here. Is AJ folding to a small raise? KJs? The issue is a raise probably rules out extracting value from the button.

On this run-out I see no opportunity to fold.

Your hand doesn't need any protection, you have a set.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • RedRed Red Chipper Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 12
    TheGameKat wrote: »
    On this run-out I see no opportunity to fold.
    Getting stacked is, in this set over set situation, unavoidable. It's just a cooler.

Yet there are different lines to take, especially on flop (and later streets), which hold very different EV.
    The best - and most difficult - question to solve is: Which line is maxEV? Which implies different hypothesis on Villain's range and play style (how we expect him to react).

Also I'd not be surprised that the flop raise/shove could be low EV ; or even -EV based on specific assumptions on Villain's range and play style.

• GwesynGwesyn Red Chipper Posts: 4 ✭✭
    Thanks so much both. I appreciate your comments and drawing my attention to ev which as a losing poker player I didn't consider 🙈. calling does sound better. I would be interested to see what a gto solver would say.
  • RedRed Red Chipper Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gwesyn wrote: »
    calling does sound better.
    Again, it really depends on Villain's mistake tendencies.
    I don't have a solver to verify, but I'd expect it to support a raise most of the time. Hence a check would be more of an passive line played as exploitation.

Also don't forget that you play a range, not a hand. What would you do - not only on flop, but also on later streets - with 7c6c, QTo or Ad8d ?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file