Population 4 Bet Stats

IAmTheCloudPokerIAmTheCloudPoker Red Chipper Posts: 18 ✭✭
I'm trying to get a grip on exactly what my population is 4 betting with. To do this, I've taken the average PFR and multiplied it by the average 4 bet preflop stat. For my population it comes to 15.86 PFR and a 4 betting %, of 5.72%. Multiplying one by the other gives me 0.90% (almost exactly AA/KK range).
A similar calculation on the best regs gave me 1.26%, which adds QQ or AKs onto the range.

I have 2 questions.
1) Is this the best method of working out this 4 betting range?
2) If correct, to take advantage of the situation, if 4 betting is so tight, I'd want to be 4 betting wider myself, but only really playing back at 4/5-bets with KK+ myself?

Comments

• TheGameKatTheGameKat Las VegasPosts: 5,440 -
    edited January 2021
    That sounds like a sensible analysis. You could also look at which hands that were 4-bet pre made it to showdown, but that can introduce a sample bias. Probably a relatively small one, though.

It's possible that this might be a license to open up your 4-bet range as an exploit, but it probably depends on how aware the population is that this pool is 4-betting so tight. I'd suggest what may be a more direct approach is to look at the 3b/fold stats if they're accessible.

One final issue that Doug Hull would likely throw out there. One has to be a bit careful with averages, lest one conclude American women are, on average, 5% pregnant.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • HotsteppaHotsteppa Red Chipper Posts: 20 ✭✭
    I dont know if you worked out the 4 bet range in the same way HM3 does, though it sounds like it. I dont know what level you play but at NL10 hardly anyone has a 4 bet range of even 2. I recently wrote a post about a 4 bet spot as ive found that even 4 betting QQ at this level tightens villains continue range so much that QQ ends up in a bad spot often. My 4 bet range was 3.2, and that was me making an effort to 4 bet more, even with pocket 10s and AQoff. You are for sure right about the range being super tight at this level.
  • IAmTheCloudPokerIAmTheCloudPoker Red Chipper Posts: 18 ✭✭
    Thanks for your input both.

I'll take a look at those 3-bet/fold stats, guess that could be incredibly useful, and yeah, I guess I'm using the averages as a base-line and working from there.

My 4 bet stats are lower than that, currently 2.16, so I guess I'm over nitty myself - although still that much wider than the level. It seems AK/AKs is a regular call at NL2/5/10, as opposed to a 3-bet/4-bet.

• TheGameKatTheGameKat Las VegasPosts: 5,440 -
    Whether you're too nitty with your 4-bet range depends sensitively on this issue of the typical 3-bet/fold stats. To give a crude example, if the typical player 3-bet/folds 50% of the time, the pot overlay suggests you should be pounding on these people mercilessly. Suited A-wheel hands become automatic 4-bets, for example. On the other hand, if their 3-bet ranges are tight enough that they don't like folding once they've 3-bet, a tight and top-end only 4-bet range may be appropriate.
    Moderation In Moderation
    That's great advice. That wasn't something that went through my thought process, it was more about my own hand strength in those spots. I think you've just added a BB/100 or 2 to my game.
  • RedRed Red Chipper Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my experience at NL10 ; 3bet are rare. If so, then I don't think you should even have a 4bet range. Even hands like KK or AA are fine call as V is entitle to bet into you.

Only if Villains start to 3bet wide-ish, you could develop a 4-bet strategy as we now have enough room to either play postflop (V calling too wide) or to have enough preflop FE.
  • Chris_VChris_V BoiseRed Chipper Posts: 181 ✭✭
    Red wrote: »
    In my experience at NL10 ; 3bet are rare. If so, then I don't think you should even have a 4bet range. Even hands like KK or AA are fine call as V is entitle to bet into you.

Only if Villains start to 3bet wide-ish, you could develop a 4-bet strategy as we now have enough room to either play postflop (V calling too wide) or to have enough preflop FE.

I'm just starting to loosen up my 3-betting range and I've noticed my player pool at 10 and 5NL 6-max 3-bet twice as often as full ring (6% vs 3%).

Because I play anonymous tables I can look up hand histories and find out what players 4-bet with even when the hands didn't make it to the river. At 10NL 6-max the last six 4-Bet hands that were played had AA, KK, KK, AdTd, AJo, and KJo. Players are 4 betting much wider than I would have thought in these games.

I was looking for an exploit of over folding to 4-Bets but from these histories it looks like that would be a mistake.

• HotsteppaHotsteppa Red Chipper Posts: 20 ✭✭
    everyone has there own strategy and opinion. I play NL5 and 10. mainly 10, and I 3 bet relentlessly. If less people limped , id be 3 betting more, though I iso raise them with anything playable. And as I said I 4 bet higher than the player pool. And for me its great! Id rather 4 bet fold a hand like AQof than call 3 bet oop. Even if the Vill is tight id rather 3 bet to get it heads up in poss. Yes, you really dont need much of a 4bet bluff range against 95% of players at this level, keep that tight, but 3 bet as much as possible. Then again, its what works for your strategy.
    Brilliant advice everyone, thank you. I'm just working through Core, and 3/4 betting pre is an area that I'm working on hard. Feeling more confident in those spots already.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file