Dealing with Frustration Tilt

IAmTheCloudPokerIAmTheCloudPoker Red Chipper Posts: 18 ✭✭
I had a full day playing Zoom today - my first full session giving it a go. I dropped down to NL2 as I wanted to try some of the things I've learnt since joining Red Chip at the lowest stake, with lots of volume. As you can see, it started horrendously - I was playing real well, but in the space of 600 hands (hands 400 to 1,000) I was 7 buy-ins below EV.
At that point I probably should have stopped, but I kept playing - looking back I lost total confidence. It wasn't a spewy kind of tilt, it was just a gradual slide. A couple of times I guess I felt 'They can't have the nuts again', when in hindsight I should have found a fold. So what was an incredibly unlucky 4 buy-in loss, turned into a 9 buy-in loss (still 8 buy-ins below ev).

Because I usually play NL5 or NL10, I'm not too gutted by this, but it shows that I'm not averse to tilt. Everyone likes to think they are not, but I'm trying to look on the positive, as it's told me that yes I do tilt and given me something to work on. What advice can you give to avoid this kind of tilt?

poker.png

Comments

• TheGameKatTheGameKat Las VegasPosts: 5,440 -
    My first piece of advice would be to stop looking at these charts, but that's possibly an unusual personal preference.

To your broader question, this is so tied up with personal psychology that it's borderline irresponsible to give definitive guidelines. Reading Tendler's book will likely help, and we have mental-game resources in our PRO library. More than five years of psychoanalysis improved my tilt issues immeasurably.

Something more concrete that may help is to try to identify precisely what is tilting you. Then ask if responding negatively to these events is sensible. As a bankroll defense, whenever you feel triggered, quit playing.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • IAmTheCloudPokerIAmTheCloudPoker Red Chipper Posts: 18 ✭✭
    Thanks Kat. I'm one of those people who is addicted to checking my progress on Poker tracker, which I know is a fault. Tiny steps, so I'm starting by restricting myself to looking at it every 20 mins, and extending that with each session. I was literally checking it all the time - every few hands.

I actually listened to the Jared Tendler audiobook recently, but because things were going well, I don't think I took too much in - I'd had a real decent run, and none of what he talked about seemed a problem. I'll be revisiting with a new pair of ears. Looking back at yesterday, I almost got to the stage where I didn't mind losing - which is a strange place to be.

The stop loss is a great idea.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file