quick lifestyle question for full-time players

blindraiseblindraise Red Chipper Posts: 321 ✭✭
For those of you whose present or past success has been related to how much money you win in poker, how do you not let poker consume your time so fully? and is it ever ok to let poker consume your time so fully?

Comments

• TheGameKatTheGameKat Las VegasPosts: 5,440 -
    blindraise wrote: »
    For those of you whose present or past success has been related to how much money you win in poker, how do you not let poker consume your time so fully? and is it ever ok to let poker consume your time so fully?

I played full time for over a decade and it felt pretty similar to my job before that. Specifically, when I was a university prof/research scientist, I was as consumed by work as I was as a poker player. In retrospect, neither scenarios were particularly healthy.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • ShamanShaman Red Chipper Posts: 38 ✭✭
    edited February 2021
    Good question. Balance is very important. Relationships, time with family, time with friends, and other hobbies need to be at least on an equal footing. Its very easy to be out of wack on one of those. I depend on my friends and partners to help guide me back when I spend too much time in one area.

Do you have a family or other job or favorite activities that are being impacted by poker? (especially negatively?)

To be the best at poker, one needs to have at least some obsession with the game. Poker takes dedication and time. Where the line of healthy depends on the person.

Gamblers Anonymous has a 20 questionaire that gives some ideas of where the line is.

1. Did you ever lose time from work or school due to gambling?
    2. Has gambling ever made your home life unhappy?
    3. Did gambling affect your reputation?
    4. Have you ever felt remorse after gambling?
    5. Did you ever gamble to get money with which to pay debts or otherwise solve financial difficulties?
    6. Did gambling cause a decrease in your ambition or efficiency?
    7. After losing did you feel you must return as soon as possible and win back your losses?
    8. After a win did you have a strong urge to return and win more?
    9. Did you often gamble until all your money was gone?
    10. Did you ever borrow to finance your gambling?
    11. Have you ever sold anything to finance gambling?
    12. Were you reluctant to use "gambling money" for normal expenditures?
    13. Did gambling make you careless of the welfare of yourself or your family?
    14. Did you ever gamble longer than you had planned?
    15. Have you ever gambled to escape worry, trouble, boredom, loneliness, grief or loss?
    16. Have you ever committed, or considered committing, an illegal act to finance gambling?
    17. Did gambling cause you to have difficulty in sleeping?
    18. Do arguments, disappointments or frustrations create within you an urge to gamble?
    19. Did you ever have an urge to celebrate any good fortune by a few hours of gambling?
    20. Have you ever considered self-destruction or suicide as a result of your gambling?

Poker is tough because professionals need to answer Yes to at least some of these questions (like question 5,7). Its an issue when poker prevents you from spending time with family, missing dates, time with kids, playing poorly to make up loses, missing sleep etc. Just some things to think about. (not saying you have a gambling issue). YMMV
  • kenaceskenaces Red Chipper Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭✭
    blindraise wrote: »

I am coming up on 14 years full-time poker pro. I have had periods where I get a bit obsessed with studying/learning/grinding. But I have spent more time over the last 14 years just enjoying the freedom poker has given me. My biggest poker leak is not playing enough hours but I have to make my peace with that as I am happy and financially stable :)

As far as how do I not let poker consume my time - I might be the wrong person to ask because I think I do sometimes have an obsessive personality. When I get into something I REALLY get into it. So I will cycle through different topics/activities sometimes or months or years.

I believe that it is OK and necessary to have periods of time where you are consumed by poker because that is how you get good at poker(or anything)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file