UTG: 112 bb
UTG+1: 29 bb
Hero MP: 100 bb AhAd
MP+1: 40.8 bb
CO: 150.4 bb
BTN: 111.2 bb
SB: 75.4 bb

Pre-Flop (1.4 bb):

fold, fold, Hero MP raises to 3 bb, MP+1 calls 3 bb, CO calls 3 bb, fold, fold, fold.

So, I tank for a good twenty seconds to disguise my hand strength. I get two callers. I remind myself, as I always do, that, post-flop, AA is a pair with better than average SDV, the best of its lot, but still one of the lowest possible made hands post-flop.

Flop (10.4 bb, 3 players): 5h 4h 2d

Hero MP bets 7.6 bb, fold, fold

This is not the greatest flop for my range. There’s a flush draw and straight draw, and, more importantly, the calling range of Villains has all the sets and two pairs, which my range does not always have. So, this is a flop where I want to polarize my betting range. The top of my range is Over-Pairs, including AA, and A3s, and the bottom is flush draws and maybe some off-suit Broadways with a heart, if needed to achieve 2:1 bluff to value ratio. Because my betting range is polar, I want to size up. I make it .75Pot.

Hand # 2

Online 02/.05 5NL

CO: 65 bb
BTN: 79.8 bb
SB: 101.8 bb
BB: 95.6 bb
UTG: 27 bb
Villain UTG+1: 231 bb
MP: 106.2 bb
MP+1: 119.8 bb
Hero MP+2: 150.8 bb AsAc

Pre Flop (1.4 bb):

fold, Villain UTG+1 raises to 4 bb, fold, fold, Hero MP+1 raises to 12 bb, fold, fold, fold, fold, VillainUTG+1 calls 8 bb

Flop (25.4 bb, 2 players): Ad 3h Th

Villain UTG+1 checks, Hero MP+1 bets 8 bb, UTG+1 calls 8 bb

Turn (41.4 bb): Jh

Villain UTG+1 bets 39.4 bb, Hero MP+1 calls 39.4 bb

This was super close. I took the full minute to decide to call. Giving Villain the range, JJ, TT, AhQh, Ah4h-Ah9h, KQs, Kh9h, Qh9h, JTs, 9h8h, ATo+, KQo, Hero needs 33% equity to call and has 50%. But, to be honest, I was scrambling to figure what flush draws would make it to the flop and what would a pretty aggressive reg bet for pot in this situation. Because Villain only called my 3-Bet PF and because the board blocked AhJh and AhTh, I thought his Ahxh were somewhat capped. With a board this wet, I thought this player type would bet their semi-bluffs this way. Thinking KQo would be a loose call OOP Pre-Flop v a 3-Bet, I discounted a straight. But, if Villain had bet pot on the River, (and my Full House had not completed,) I would have folded, I think. My last thought as time ran out was, “well, there are enough combos I beat, I think, and if the board pairs, I win no matter what.”

River (120.2 bb): Td

Villain UTG+1 bets 171.6 bb and is all-in; Hero MP+1 calls 91.4 bb and is all-in

Villain UTG+1 shows KcQd (Straight, Ace High)

Tagged:

Comments

• KeithJDKeithJD Red Chipper Posts: 17 ✭✭
    As soon as I posted, I realized "Whose turn is it to call me an idiot?" isn't as funny as I thought. Everyone here has been incredibly helpful, thoughtful, and considerate. Meant as a joke. Not funny. Sorry if offensive.
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Las VegasPosts: 5,112 -
    KeithJD wrote: »
    As soon as I posted, I realized "Whose turn is it to call me an idiot?" isn't as funny as I thought. Everyone here has been incredibly helpful, thoughtful, and considerate. Meant as a joke. Not funny. Sorry if offensive.

I took it to be self deprecating rather than a dig at our wonderful community.
    Moderation In Moderation
    As to the hands... I think your theory may be a bit wonky on the first one. As the PFR I think it's pretty difficult to be polarized on that board unless you have the sets. Besides, I don't worry about bluff-to-value ratios before the river. I think there are easier and more robust principles to apply.

So here you have the nut overpair and some protection in the form of the wheel gutshot and the backdoor flush draw. And it's tricky because your two opponents have very different stacks. I'd be interested in what the solver gang has to say about it, but I think I'd size down a bit.

Oh also, I wouldn't worry about tanking 20 seconds to disguise the strength of your hand. It doesn't. If people think anything about it at all, they'll assume you've got a crappy connection, are massively multi-tabling, or just spilled coffee on yourself. There's enough for you to think about without planning these complex timing tells.

The second one is pretty scary, particularly facing full pot on the turn. However, if you can find some logical hands V will play this way that you're beating, I think calling with top set is always fine, since you have the safety net of the overfull/quad draw.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • KeithJDKeithJD Red Chipper Posts: 17 ✭✭
    Thanks. It's a work in progress. Still a lot of stuff I don't understand. But I am trying to figure it out, Little by little.
    KeithJD wrote: »
    Thanks. It's a work in progress. Still a lot of stuff I don't understand. But I am trying to figure it out, Little by little.

I think that applies to everyone who studies poker.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • PapaGiorgioPapaGiorgio Red Chipper Posts: 116 ✭✭
    I'll agree with Kat. I don't think the board in hand 1 is scary. i don't think you're getting many PF callers that connect. So, unless you know villains will call regardless of bet size, I'd remain aggressive and size down with my cbet. I also plan to bet turn unless a 3 falls.

Hand 2 is scary. His lead indicates strength, and I've seen hands as week as one pair combo draws making it. At 5NL, i think this is mostly two pair plus. Since villain could be betting with hands that we crush, i would also call the turn bet. Additionally, I'd discount the nut flush because it doesn't make sense to lead into the aggressor. I would lean more toward two pair and straights -- they think they are "testing the waters to see how strong you are".

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file