BU (Hero): $5.98 (120 bb)
SB: $8.98 (180 bb)
BB: $7.21 (144 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.07) Hero is BTN with T Q
1 fold, Hero raises to $0.12, SB 3-bets to $0.44, 1 fold, Hero calls $0.32

Flop: ($0.93) K T Q (2 players)
SB bets $0.61, Hero calls $0.61

Turn: ($2.15) 7 (2 players)
SB bets $1.36, Hero raises to $3.70, SB raises to $6.04, Hero calls $1.23 (all-in)

River: ($12.01) 7 (2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: $12.01 (Rake: $0.60)
  • Only have ~70 hands on this opponent, but he comes across as competent.
  • FLOP: Flopping two pair is great, but don't love the board texture, especially as opponent's range is uncapped; he can have all the sets (although we block two of them), better two pairs (which we also block), and straights. He can also have AA and JJ which we are a favourite against, and we can also improve to a full-house (or run into a backdoor flush) if he does have a straight. I think the call is standard here.
  • TURN: Turn doesn't change anything and I expect opponent to continue with all of his range minus the worst bluffs in his 3-bet then c-bet range (not much). I'm honestly not sure if a raise here is good, as he will likely continue with the 6 combos of JJ, 6 combos of AA, and 1 combo. of AKs with a flush draw, but there are also 16 combos of AJ, 6 combos of KQ, and 5 combos of sets. So he will have it about 66% of the time and I've given him 25% pot odds. I think if I am raising here, I should be shoving as I only leave myself with ~24 BB, and I would also be giving him ~33% pot odds instead.
  • When he re-raises me, I have to call as I'm getting almost 9:1 to improve to a full-house.

Do we shove the turn? Or call and fold if we don't improve on the river?

I'm on a big downswing at the moment, and I've found myself really studying the hands that have lost me the most money to make sure it is actually bad luck and not bad playing on my behalf. I'm starting to think I'm overvaluing two pairs and trips when the board runs out badly. Generally, I've stopped calling if I face big bets or raises on the turn / river as the opponents at this level practically always have me beat, but I can't help but feel like I'm misplaying spots like these!

Any help would be greatly appreciated please!

Cheers

Matt

Comments

• wescrowescro Red Chipper Posts: 70 ✭✭
    I agree with you that if you're going to raise the turn, it needs to be a shove. But I'm not seeing why you wanted to raise the turn at all here. With the thinking you've done about this range, the dynamic texture of the board, and V's continued aggression, I think just a call on the turn makes the most sense. It's going to be hard to get a worse hand to call your raise and impossible to get a better hand to fold. Which, of course, are the only 2 reasons to raise.

• TheGameKatTheGameKat Las VegasPosts: 5,112 -
    Agreed the turn raise doesn't seem to have any useful purpose.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • yesitsmattharrisyesitsmattharris Red Chipper Posts: 12 ✭✭
  • ulysses27ulysses27 Red Chipper Posts: 212 ✭✭
    One thing to consider here is that V has range advantage here and probably the top of your range is 1010 and AJ. So what are you really check raising on the turn? What you are doing is taking a hand in the middle of your range and overplaying it. If the board was Q104, then it makes a lot of sense to check raise with your holding. When V shoves that really narrows their range. So the best scenario for you is that V is overplaying AK or AA on the turn. The river is just a bad card so that anything you were beating now beats you.
  • yesitsmattharrisyesitsmattharris Red Chipper Posts: 12 ✭✭
    That makes a lot of sense - thanks ulysses27. Range advantage is something I'm only just starting to pay more attention to, but it certainly helps in spots like this

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file