How Do I Construct a Cold-Calling Range?

FuguFugu Red Chipper Posts: 19
edited September 2014 in Off Topic Chat
I'm hoping to understand how to construct a cold-calling range. I don't think I'm doing this right, but just as an example:

Full Ring

UTG's Opening range: 66+,AJs+,AQo+ (6.79%)

Would the proper way to best work on a cold calling range from let's say UTG+3 is to use a range like: JJ+,AQs+,AQo+ (4.22%) ?

Running it through equilab:

Equity Win Tie
MP2 44.88% 40.85% 4.02% { 66+, AJs+, AQo+ }
MP3 55.12% 51.10% 4.02% { JJ+, AQs+, AQo+ }

I know this just takes into account preflop....but I'm really not sure how to best approach this.

Comments

• SplitSuitSplitSuit RCP Coach Posts: 3,970 -
    Great question and something that likely makes a better article than single forum post. That being said, here are some considerations:

1. What's my goal? Is my goal to bluff him off of his CB a ton, or to gather massive implied odds? The tighter his PF opening range, and the more he overvalues single pairs postflop, the more focused on implied odds you want to be.

2. If I call, what happens? Are there players behind that will squeeze, call as well, or just fold like normal? How does my hand perform in the expected environment?

3. Would 3betting be better? Could I just contend for the pot now, or is calling the better option?

4. Playability? This not only means how the hand likely plays going postflop (hitting vs missing, draws vs air, etc.)...but also how comfortable you are postflop. The weaker your postflop skills, the less you should be calling imo
    My new book lays out the playbook for AK. Grab your copy and start Optimizing Ace King!
  • FuguFugu Red Chipper Posts: 19
    SplitSuit wrote:
    Great question and something that likely makes a better article than single forum post. That being said, here are some considerations:

1. What's my goal? Is my goal to bluff him off of his CB a ton, or to gather massive implied odds? The tighter his PF opening range, and the more he overvalues single pairs postflop, the more focused on implied odds you want to be.

2. If I call, what happens? Are there players behind that will squeeze, call as well, or just fold like normal? How does my hand perform in the expected environment?

3. Would 3betting be better? Could I just contend for the pot now, or is calling the better option?

4. Playability? This not only means how the hand likely plays going postflop (hitting vs missing, draws vs air, etc.)...but also how comfortable you are postflop. The weaker your postflop skills, the less you should be calling imo

Thanks for the input Split. These are exactly the questions I needed to know when asking myself what decision to make. Perhaps using a default cold-calling range and making it elastic against player(s) tendencies is a more robust way of going about tackling the problem.
    Actually...this is such a good question I may end up doing a complete video on it. Not sure it would be the most exciting video in the world...but it would at least be informative =)
    My new book lays out the playbook for AK. Grab your copy and start Optimizing Ace King!
    SplitSuit wrote:
    Actually...this is such a good question I may end up doing a complete video on it. Not sure it would be the most exciting video in the world...but it would at least be informative =)

Please do! That would be great!
  • Ron KRon K Red Chipper Posts: 119
    More SplitSuit videos YESSSSSS!
    SplitSuit wrote:

I just re-read chapter 3 in your book "Dynamic Full Ring", and it was very helpful.

Still hope you make a video though!
    Fugu wrote:
    SplitSuit wrote:

I just re-read chapter 3 in your book "Dynamic Full Ring", and it was very helpful.

Still hope you make a video though!

Thanks...glad you enjoyed the chapter!
  • Michael WMichael W Red Chipper Posts: 135 ✭✭
    SplitSuit wrote: »

has this video ever been created?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file