Was I obviously bluffing this hand?

EVLGEVLG Red Chipper Posts: 14 ✭✭
Hi guys, wondering if you could help me out with the following hand and if there was anything else I could have done to enduce a fold. My original plan was to put the pressure on the first in from MP with my 3 bet, but got called by the Big Blind (MP did fold to the 3bet though).

The short story on this hand (opening hand in a microstakes MTT) is 3bet from me with A9o, call from big blind - I do have 180 hands played with BB and they are a 25/18 player, bet flop 33%, turn 29% and River 33% (with 100% fold to River bets although the hands that have seen this is very low).

Flop comes K82, BB checks, I bet half pot, BB calls. Turn is another 2, we both check , River is a 10, BB checks and I bet 3 quarters pot; BB insta-calls with pocket 3s.

Is there an obvious leak in how I played this? I think K is going to be in my 3bet range a lot of the time as well as pocket pairs. With the board the way it was (flush, 3 over cards and potential trips (although my range is unlikely to have a 2)) as well as any pocket pairs I could have I don't see how they could find the quick call with 3s. The only thing I can think of is not betting the turn but I don't know if that would make a difference here and I see nothing in the stats to suggest they're a calling station.

Hand structure is in full below and any help is greatly appreciated, and I can provide any other details you might need. Thanks.

PokerStars - 15/30 Ante 4 NL - Holdem - 9 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

Hero (BTN): 166.67 BB
SB: 166.67 BB
BB: 166.67 BB
UTG: 166.67 BB
UTG+1: 166.67 BB
MP: 166.67 BB
MP+1: 166.67 BB
MP+2: 166.67 BB
CO: 166.67 BB

9 players post ante of 0.13 BB, SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 2.7 BB) Hero has A:diamond: 9:spade:

fold, fold, fold, fold, MP+2 raises to 2 BB, fold, Hero raises to 6 BB, fold, BB calls 5 BB, fold

Flop: (15.7 BB, 2 players) K:heart: 8:heart: 2:spade:
BB checks, Hero bets 8 BB, BB calls 8 BB

Turn: (31.7 BB, 2 players) 2:heart:
BB checks, Hero checks

River: (31.7 BB, 2 players) T:diamond:
BB checks, Hero bets 23.77 BB, BB calls 23.77 BB

Hero shows A:diamond: 9:spade: (One Pair, Twos)
(Pre 46%, Flop 23%, Turn 9%)
BB shows 3:heart: 3:diamond: (Two Pair, Threes and Twos)
(Pre 54%, Flop 77%, Turn 91%)
BB wins 79.23 BB

Comments

• TheGameKatTheGameKat Las VegasPosts: 4,745 -
    It's the first hand of a MTT. You're better off not 3-betting anything than 3-betting A9o.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • EVLGEVLG Red Chipper Posts: 14 ✭✭
    Yeah I did think it could be overly aggressive for the first hand, maybe it would have got a different result further in. I just didn't want to play it any differently than, say, the 10th hand
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Las VegasPosts: 4,745 -
    EVLG wrote: »
    Yeah I did think it could be overly aggressive for the first hand, maybe it would have got a different result further in. I just didn't want to play it any differently than, say, the 10th hand

On the 10th hand it's at least conceivable you have some sort of info on an opponent. But the bigger issue is that at level 1 the blinds and antes aren't worth attacking.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • EVLGEVLG Red Chipper Posts: 14 ✭✭
    TheGameKat wrote: »

On the 10th hand it's at least conceivable you have some sort of info on an opponent. But the bigger issue is that at level 1 the blinds and antes aren't worth attacking.

Yeah that's really fair. Live and learn and don't repeat. Thanks!
  • kenaceskenaces Red Chipper Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭✭
    Is there an obvious leak in how I played this?

Yes. You need to build your preflop ranges better = hint A9o never gets 3B in this spot

• ulysses27ulysses27 Red Chipper Posts: 187 ✭✭
    From a bluffing perspective your hand doesn't really block any value hands that v might have. You don't block the flush draw or any K combos they might have except AK. If you are going to bluff in this spot I would prefer a turn bet then a river bet to fold out weak bluff catchers like the one v has.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file