Live 1/2 IP baby flop.

Chris_VChris_V BoiseRed Chipper Posts: 175 ✭✭
Baby flops don't happen much but against typical low limit live players what do we think should be our play when checked to on the Flop?

Hero opens in middle position for 3BB with the "NUT100" range. (77+, All Suited Broadways, AQo+)

Two Callers in the Blinds. SB (70bb) is loose passive and straight forward, while BB (100BB) is loose but aggressive and tricky. Hero has 100BB

POT 9BB
Flop: :7d:5c:2h

Considering the Texture and Hero's tight range should Hero be:

1/3 Betting (3BB) I'm thinking 1/3rd gives us a chance to see a turn and river for cheep if we need to hit an over card and we keep our range uncapped.

Potting (9BB): I don't know about potting it here. If we Pot its going to be with Trip 77, Big Pairs and some weak draws maybe backdoor Nut Flush with three to a suit. If we do take this line we have to think about our checking range being very weak. Maybe only take this line with 77 and back door nut flush draws.

Checking Back: I don't like the flop check-back because we are "obviously" taking all of the Big-Pairs out of our range. If we do check back the flop with unimproved cards we would also have to do it with AA and KK. I guess this could be an OK play but high variance. If checked too again on the turn hero could barrel turn and river on good cards. We are hoping for our loose villains to get sticky once we show weakness but mostly give up for the river barrel.

Comments

• Chris_VChris_V BoiseRed Chipper Posts: 175 ✭✭
    Ha Ha Ha. Just watched @kenaces video on simplifying Poker with GTO and he goes over this situation. Dangerous spot for Hero.
  • Chris_VChris_V BoiseRed Chipper Posts: 175 ✭✭
    Now I just watched Fitzgerald's C-Betting in Position Video vs low stakes players and I'm feeling in reverse world. Am I worried about Villain's low cards hitting that flop or do I want to be folding out Villain's High cards that missed. Confusing.
  • Noobman123Noobman123 Red Chipper Posts: 136 ✭✭
    edited April 5
    I'm really new but I wanted to contribute to this because it's the exact kind of situation that another player on here and myself have been discussing when we meet to review hands every week.

Hero's range:

AA-77,AKo-AQo,AKs-ATs,KQs-KTs,QJs-QTs,JTs

Villain's range (I kept both villains' ranges the same since it seems like the real dfiference is how they play postflop):

JJ-22,AJo-A7o,KJo-K9o,QJo-Q9o,JTo-J9o,T9o,AJs-A2s,KJs-K5s,QJs-Q9s,JTs-J9s,T9s-T8s,98s-97s,87s-86s,76s-75s,65s-64s,54s,43s

Since it's multiway, I may go even smaller than 1/3. 1/3 is typically what I'd cbet IP headsup but since we're multiway we have less fold equity against two opponents, so I think maybe 1/4 pot is okay. Bloating a multiway pot on a board that just shits on our range is not a fun prospect. In this situation, we have about 35% equity against villain's range but more importantly I think is the fact that our range is severely capped on this type of board into holdings that are only going to get maximum two streets of value (and exactly 3 combos of sets) - even aces/kings against a loose/tricky player on this board may be nervous going for 3 streets. For those reasons, I think the smaller the pot the better for this hand, since given your range, you have exactly three combination of sets and the best you have outside of that are overpairs and ace-high - if we bloat early, we put overpairs in a really tough situation where even if villain decides to bluff on the river, it's pretty tough to make a call vs. villain given how uncapped their range is.

The only "issue" with 1/4 pot is that there is a chance you're not folding out ace high hands - I could see a world where a lot of villains want to see another card with their AJ/AT etc. and 1/4 pot probably isn't going to do the trick. But given villain's range, I think there's a lot of non ace-high hands that you can fold out for this small price, so if we're taking a stab I think a smaller sizing like this is where I'd lean. Folds out about 50% of villain's range and doesn't bloat the pot in case a good range card comes on turn and we want to fire again.

I think checking is okay too since you have absolute position on the table on a horrible board for our range and a couple looser players (one of them who likes to play tricky) indicating to me that a check on the flop doesn't say much about the strength of his holdings, since he's probably likely to check his sets/two pairs/straights. The player who plays a little more straight forward probably doesn't check his made hands.

I understand your concerns about balance but I think since we're discussing a low limit live game (no hud, typically fishier than microstakes online players) I'm not sure if balancing our check range on the flop to be less exploitable is necessary.

Another factor to consider is given the flop, are there really turn cards that are going to massively swing the equity in our range's favor? I'm not sure there's really any turn card that is going to make that big of a difference.

Anyway, long post sorry about that one but I think if we're gonna bet, 1/4 pot is the way I'd go and I don't mind checking the flop and seeing where the turn lands us and if we get checked too again, firing on the turn seems okay.

• Noobman123Noobman123 Red Chipper Posts: 136 ✭✭
    I forgot one player was in BB - if so, I'd make his range a lot wider than sb's range. Oops
  • kenaceskenaces Red Chipper Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭✭
    Chris_V wrote: »
    Ha Ha Ha. Just watched @kenaces video on simplifying Poker with GTO and he goes over this situation. Dangerous spot for Hero.

My video only covered HU situations so 3-way hero has even less equity/range advantage. So hero will have to CB a very low frequency.

Thanks for watching the video :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file