Trust my intuition next time?

owlowl Red Chipper Posts: 2 ✭✭
.5/1. This game was on Pokernow, but I'm including it here because it's with people I know from live games, and the dynamic is far closer to a live game. We're 8 handed with effective stacks of 111.50. Hero opens to 5.50 from button with Ad8d after two limps. SB and both limpers call.

Pot 23.00, flop: 5d 6d 7s

SB (a solid regular at these games) leads into the three of us for 14.25. Both limpers fold, hero calls.

Pot 51.50, turn: 5d 6d 7s 6c

SB checks. Hero (stack 91.75) bets 30, villain calls.

Pot 111.50, river: 5d 6d 7s 6c 9h

SB checks. Hero shoves (61.75), villain calls and shows 7h 6h.

Calling it a cooler and walking away feels inadequate to me because alarm bells were going off in my hand when villain checked the turn. His lead into three people on the flop screams strength (in retrospect), but then when the turn pairs the board, he’s suddenly… suspiciously… no longer worried about any of the draws completing? I got too attached to my draw — which became my straight — especially given his check on the river that I ignored my intuition here. He trapped me good.

So the question is, how much should I listen to my gut/intuition next time? I don’t want to go into passive mode with big draws like this, or even start folding straights facing aggression from bets on a paired board. At the same time, I don’t want to ignore red flags when my poker subconscious is waving them.

Would love to hear folks’ thoughts on this hand in particular, as well as on the Ignoring Alarm Bells issue in general.

Comments

• TheGameKatTheGameKat Las VegasPosts: 4,877 -
    I think what we do with intuition and alarm bells depends sensitively on where they are rooted. For example, overly tight players will hear alarm bells because some highly improbable draw just backed in and they decide their opponent miraculously has the nuts, even when the required hole cards and betting line make no sense.

That said, I think it's reasonable to be wary whenever a poker hand moves out of flow. Here that happens twice. First, villain donks the flop. Having grabbed the initiative, they then relinquish it on the turn. I think that reasonably should produce a ding ding ding.

But I think what we're really engaged in here is hand reading, and given you play against these folks regularly, you should be able to do that with appreciable detail. More generally, ask the normal poker questions like who has range advantage on this board, what does the donk bet mean, and so on.
    Moderation In Moderation

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file