Bluffing with a medium strength hand

JPPokerJPPoker Red Chipper Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited April 10 in Live Poker Hands
Not too long ago I played a hand in which I turned a very medium strength hand into a bluff. Anyways, onto the HH:

8 handed, $1/2/4 BU straddle live
Effective stack was $575 (Hero) villain covered.

Villain opened in LJ to $22, CO called, folds to hero in BU straddle who calls with KdTd.

Flop($69): Ac Kc Qh

Villain bets $20, CO folds, Hero Calls.

Turn($109): 4s

Villain bets $65, Hero Calls

River($239): 9h
Board: Ac Kc Qh 4s 9h

Villain bets $110 , Hero shoves $468, Villain folds 72o.

So I don't know why he had 72o but I do know he had a 62o side bet with someone else at the table. Villain was also extremely loose, RFI at least 30% and VPIP more than 50%. On the other hand, I had played only around 4 to 5 hands in 3 hours being very card dead and looked extremely tight. During the hand, I honestly did not think villain had any bluffs other than 62o as well as some missed flush draws and believed a lot of his hands were weighted toward Ax plus OTR. I knew that with my image he would certainly fold any hand worse than AQ and call with all of his sets and straights.

I am mostly interested in whether the bluff was profitable based on the perceived range of my opponent and the price I gave myself. Also want to know if a call might have been better in terms of EV since I unblock clubs and could just call instead of risking my whole stack.

Comments

• TheGameKatTheGameKat Las VegasPosts: 4,877 -
    edited April 10
    I think I just fold flop. I'm playing a capped range, and while it's true I have the 4 nut combos of JTs (I'm assuming if you flat KTs you flat JTs), so does a 30% RFI villain. Plus they have all the sets. I guess the fact you have a T in that context is relevant, but this still seems extremely ambitious.

As to turning it into a bluff, what made hands will this fold out? If you can get rid of all the two pair it might be +EV, but your line represents the nuts or busted flush draws. So how does V respond to that range? Are they the type to bluff catch with Ax+? If you think you can fold out monsters, this is very creative, but equally given you have this side game on and thus can give V more bluffs than usual, calling might be better.

As I say, I don't think I get past the flop, although The Machines probably do. Also suggest against someone opening that wide you might consider a preflop 3-bet.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • KossKoss Red Chipper Posts: 62 ✭✭
    Against bad LAG players, which you do run into live quite often, your goal should not be to bluff them. As you learned here, he picked a garbage hand and just went ham with it. They will do this a lot. The correct adjustment is just to call down and let them do most or all of the betting. You don't necessarily need to nut-peddle, which is what far too many bad regs do. Then when the regs do make a monster they raise big, the maniac with 72o snap folds, and they get no value. In this spot you risked $468 to win the same amount you could have won by calling $110. While a win is a win, you don't want to turn hands with SDV against a wide-range into bluffs when they are calling too often with Ax+.

As for this hand, this is a tricky spot to try and call down in. It's going to be dependent on the player. I have seen some players LAGGY enough where once this flop comes I'm prepared to call off my stack, they are that bad. Others who are a bit more selective in their ranges, this may be a fold against, as they have too many Ax, JT, 2-pairs, and combo draws in their barreling off range to call down 2nd pair profitably.

• MelMel Red Chipper Posts: 35 ✭✭
    TheGameKat wrote: »
    I think I just fold flop. I'm playing a capped range, and while it's true I have the 4 nut combos of JTs (I'm assuming if you flat KTs you flat JTs), so does a 30% RFI villain. Plus they have all the sets. I guess the fact you have a T in that context is relevant, but this still seems extremely ambitious.

As to turning it into a bluff, what made hands will this fold out? If you can get rid of all the two pair it might be +EV, but your line represents the nuts or busted flush draws. So how does V respond to that range? Are they the type to bluff catch with Ax+? If you think you can fold out monsters, this is very creative, but equally given you have this side game on and thus can give V more bluffs than usual, calling might be better.

As I say, I don't think I get past the flop, although The Machines probably do. Also suggest against someone opening that wide you might consider a preflop 3-bet.

You would call and fold to a c-bet everytime you have less than top pair? Why call at all then?

You probably are a better player than me but if I am going to fold to a 100% c-bettor 80% of the time I don't see how I could make this +ev.

Seems like a raise for value preflop to me.
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Las VegasPosts: 4,877 -
    edited April 13
    Mel wrote: »
    TheGameKat wrote: »

You would call and fold to a c-bet everytime you have less than top pair? Why call at all then?

You probably are a better player than me but if I am going to fold to a 100% c-bettor 80% of the time I don't see how I could make this +ev.

Seems like a raise for value preflop to me.

I think the call pre is certainly questionable. The issue is simply that this is a bad board for a preflop caller, plus three-broadway flops are notoriously difficult to continue on without a strong range.

To put it another way, holding pair+gutshot with position on many flops is a great situation. Here I'd suggest it isn't.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • kenaceskenaces Red Chipper Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭✭
    JPPoker wrote: »
    Villain was also extremely loose, RFI at least 30% and VPIP more than 50%.

given this info, this is must 3B!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file