UTG: $6.04 (121 bb)
CO: $6.85 (137 bb)
BU: $5.00 (100 bb)
SB (Hero): $7.90 (158 bb)
BB: $5.00 (100 bb)

Pre-Flop: ($0.07) Hero is SB with :Td:9d
2 players fold, BTN raises to $0.10, Hero calls $0.08, BB calls $0.05

Flop: ($0.30) :4h:Qd:Jd (3 players)
Hero checks, BB checks, BTN bets $0.15, Hero raises to $0.55, BB folds, BTN calls $0.40

Turn: ($1.40) :Js (2 players)

I raised the flop because I thought that I likely had the best equity

After the flop, I estimate my opponents range as KK+, KQs+, KQo+, QJ and Ace High flush draws, I would have around 28% equity (calculated after the hand). I expect that sets would have reraised on the flop.
In hand, I was a little lost about my turn action. Bet or check, and what size should my bet be.

I just joined started playing again, and joined the forum earlier this week so if anything is incorrect about this post please let me know.

Thanks for your feedback.

Comments

• TheGameKatTheGameKat Las VegasPosts: 4,951 -
    Having check-raised flop it feels like another barrel is in order. Not sure on sizing. I'm assuming you only have 44 of the big made hands, so I'm not sure you can get away with an overbet, but it might be enterprising.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • Doogal_DDoogal_D Red Chipper Posts: 16 ✭✭
    By no means an expert, but my thoughts are that if you XR'd Flop, you definitely want to fire again on the Turn (as @TheGameKat said). If you had a set of 4s, you wouldn't want to give a free card to any draws that happened to call you on the Flop. It's possible the BTN called you with 3rd Pair if they think you're trying to steal the pot (tough to know without stats on them or you, as well as what your image is at this table). I'd be inclined to go for a bigger bet (around 70% - 90%) as you block a lot of the flush- and straight-draws available to Villain, so you're concerned about medium-strength made hands. You aren't getting a Jack to fold given that 44 and QJ are the only hands you can have that would beat it, so you want 3rd Pairs and weak Qs to fold (you would have 3Bet QQ, JJ, and should have 3Bet QJif you were going to play it vs the BTN open).
  • LoveFishLoveFish IllinoisRed Chipper Posts: 154 ✭✭
    Don’t flat from the SB, 3 bet or fold strategy is best.
  • struckostrucko Red Chipper Posts: 9 ✭✭
    Hi OTH2601,

As played and thinking of what you can represent, QJ/44 or a monster draw, the turn J is pretty safe card for all your boats and you actually would want for player to continue on turn with your big hands to catch up with you in case he has a FD, so if you bet big you do not accomplish that as Q will often fold to a big bet all his weak Q and weak FD. I would be inclined to bet a size that keeps Q and FDs in. Perhaps a bet of 1/2 pot or slightly less 60c could make opponent suspicious as if you are hiding a strong hand and want to milk them. It as well makes it cheap for you to see the river if the blocking bet prevents a turn raise from opponent and I think in this case it would as I do not see J in his range after he called your flop raise most likely Q/FD or odd times KK AA that gets sticky on a draw heavy board.

These are my thoughts by no means saying it would be the best play.

Good luck !

• OTH2601OTH2601 Red Chipper Posts: 3 ✭✭
    Hi all,

Thanks for your feedback, turn betting was the right play with the flop check-raise. Do we also take that line when the turn is for example :Ah or :Ac ?
    I am not also further along in the CORE training and did notice that calling from the SB basically is not profitable, so I will take that lesson with me as well.

Also, taking it one step back; was the flop check-raise correct or should I just have called?

P.s. is it common to show the actual further action to see how the hand played out in the end?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file