How much can I improve over 1 million hands?

Mind_Body_SoulMind_Body_Soul Edmonton Alberta CanadaRed Chipper Posts: 6 ✭✭
Every journey begins with a single step, success is built upon action. So, let's get to it.

As the title states, I want to see how much I can improve over the course of 1 million hands. That's it. To quantify I'll be using a leak tracker style report as I feel tracking these results over the long term would probably serve the most benefit in being able to spot potential leaks and problems as the challenge progresses. I also have a rather ridged study plan setup that gets planned/revised once a week. Work is logged daily to keep me accountable. Will be keeping a poker/study journal as well. Plan the work, work the plan. (If anyone with a larger brain than mine has some input on how I could improve the tracking process I'm all ears! Always open to constructive feed back!)

I have not set a monetary goal for a reason. They don't work for me, The end goal is to make poker my profession of course. I have things I want to do and places I want to go in life and poker will make those possible. The freedom poker allows us is what I'm after. My love of the game helps this alot, I can finish an 8 hour session and about an hour later I'm already itching to fire up the next one. I have every motivation I need staring me in the face, every morning. I just needed to take the time to find out what drives me. How far will this drive take me? That's what I need to find out. This challenge is but the first step of many to come.

Alright, so now that that stuff is all out of the way.....

How much can I improve over 1 million hands?
Site: GG Poker
Starting stake: NL2
Format: Hold'em Rush (GG's zoom variant)
Starting Bankroll: $112.83
Time to completion: 270 Days. February 13th 2022. (2 week break to adjust to new baby being brought home)
Hands per day : 3703 @ 4 Tables (GG Max for Cash)
Tools: CORE 2.0, Preflop+,Postflop+, Flopzilla, PT4, Power Equilab, The Mental Game of poker 1&2

Schedule Breakdown:
6 hrs playing poker
3 hrs study time per day.

I think a healthy mix of study half as much as playing will serve me well for now, it's always open to adjustment. Every week will be based on a theme. IE Open Raising, 3 Betting ect ect. That's all I focus my study and HH Reviews on for the entire week. Will be utilizing weekly study logs for accountability/planning progress tracking.

6am-8am: HH Review (post 1 trouble hand for feedback daily) CORE 2.0 Module with notes
8am-10am:Chores and at least 5k steps outdoors
10am-11am:Self Care, meditation, Gratitude Journal, Warm up
11am-5pm:Hit the felt
5pm -9pm:Cool down 15 min, then Family Time ( most important part of my day)
9pm-10pm:HH Review Tagged hands with weekly focus in mind
10pm-11pm:Unplug, gratitude and reflection. Read for a half hour then hit the hay!

Days off will be whenever my wife makes me take one. She knows me the best, I'll work myself to death given the opportunity. I also know it's usually just best to listen to her, she always has my best interests and our families in mind. Sorry for the lengthy post, but I'm just trying to present as much info as possible. Updates from here will be summaries of the weekly progress trackers (PT4, weekly stats tracker, study tracker) and thoughts on play and what I learned.

Thanks for taking the time to read this! GL

Comments

• TheGameKatTheGameKat Las VegasPosts: 5,204 -
    Something about this intrigues me. You mention part of the appeal of poker is the freedom it affords. That was certainly a massive factor in my decision to quit my day job and play for a living. And yet to get there you've constructed a schedule that to me would be an intellectual prison.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • Mind_Body_SoulMind_Body_Soul Edmonton Alberta CanadaRed Chipper Posts: 6 ✭✭
    It's like an enigma wrapped in a puzzle :P this is just the first step. Right now it's all about improvement and learning and building a solid foundation. I'm not concerned about money right now. Things are going to change in my study and workflow as my game and skills develop. I have the time and opportunity, might as well make the most of it. I also have a very strong work ethic and I also thrive in structure. The freedoms would be living free from making the money for someone else. Living how and where I want. If I'm going to work this hard already for an hourly rate or yearly salary, why not just work that hard and reap all the rewards for myself? And not just the monetary ones. The one's from completing this challenge, from improving and moving forward onto the next one. To hell with the middle man. Sick and tired of that guy getting my money. I have made far to many people rich off the sweat of my brow. I mean might give a few people some money along the way while I'm learning, but it's for me.
    I'll be interested to read about how this pans out. One suggestion: I'm not sure how bad the rake is on GG, but it's likely significant at 2NL. Further, it feels inefficient to me to play one million hands at this limit. I understand it produces a neat and quantifiable way of assessing improvement, but if the goal is to get better at poker, part of that process is moving up in stakes.

Good luck!
    Moderation In Moderation
    edited April 30
    I'm a moron lol I forgot to put in BRM, like it's in my hand written plan..... son of a.......... BRM will be as follows;

50 Buy ins from NL 2 & NL5
    100 Buy ins NL10 and up
    Super simple, just moving up or down as the roll allows. Thresholds are carved in stone. I'm not in a hurry to move through the limits, I'm most interested in building for forever.
  • KossKoss Red Chipper Posts: 144 ✭✭✭
    I've seen a few people start out with a disciplined plan like this and I'm not sure I've ever seen one reach the finish line. I think many people underestimate the psychological challenge of putting in that type of volume at the micro stakes. If you want a funny example look up Doug Polks Youtube series trying to grind out 10K at the micros. Even one of the worlds top players had trouble putting in that kind of volume.

I think the trap a lot of people fall into like this is they go through swings that make them feel like they are running in place. It's a very swingy game even if you're great. My one piece of advice to you is if you find boredom setting and you're struggling with staying the course, to be more adventurous with your BRM. The core section suggest shot taking at as low as 15 BI's. I think that's a great idea. Best of luck to you.
    Thanks Koss. I hadn't worked any shot taking in, but I will take that under advisement as I'm in the last day of prep. Probably not a bad idea really. Like I said, things are gonna change as I move and grow, thanks for the advice! I'll pay extra attention when I get there in the Core work :)

I'm also aware of the fatigue that could set in. I think my biggest advantage is I'm not overly concerned with a dollar amount or the speed in which I get to a certain threshold in my bankroll or growth. Every human learns at a different rate. What worked for Johnny might not work for me and vice versa. The completion date is a volume deadline. I don't have any expectations on any number really. More like I'm just trying to figure out how much I can grow in 1 million hands. I have things in my mindfulness practice to help combat it. But, I don't have a crystal ball and I can't tell the future so I'll cross that bridge when I get there. Thanks for the advice guys it all helps :)

Tomorrow is the big day of starting this challenge and I'm not gonna lie I'm getting excited!
    The boss recommended this:

Moderation In Moderation
  • kenaceskenaces Red Chipper Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm a moron lol I forgot to put in BRM, like it's in my hand written plan..... son of a.......... BRM will be as follows;

50 Buy ins from NL 2 & NL5
    100 Buy ins NL10 and up
    Super simple, just moving up or down as the roll allows. Thresholds are carved in stone. I'm not in a hurry to move through the limits, I'm most interested in building for forever.

Way too conservative for micro-stakes BRM!

You should want to get out of the micros ASAP because:
    1) $$$
    2) moving up and challenging your poker skill = faster learning if you are a good student/player

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file