Missed AK in 3bet pot against cold call

yuval_er1yuval_er1 Red Chipper Posts: 15 ✭✭
Hi

Live 5-10 NIS (similar to 1-3$).
Two limps for EP from wide weak players.
MP (1000) raised to 40. He has a sizing leak, I think he would raise for larger sizing with his premium hands. However, the type of player is likely to call a standard 3bet and see the flop.
Hero (2000) 3bet to 150 with AcKs.
BB (1300) is a tight passive player. He cold calls. I don't have many hours with him so I can guess his range is something like 88+ AQs+ AK0.
limpers folds.
MP calls.

flop comes 10d4c3c.
BB checks.
MP checks.
Hero?

My thoughts are that from one hand we have the Ac so we can bet the turn in good frequency. Plus no one holds Axc and is likely to bluff us.
On the other hand, we probably facing a strong range from bb and I am not sure he's folding often enough.

If I wasn't holding Ac is it always check?

Thanks

Comments

• LoveFishLoveFish IllinoisRed Chipper Posts: 163 ✭✭
    2 options, bet small 1/3 pot and prepare to barrel away.
    Or check because your 3 bet has been called in 2 spots.

BB cold call range should probably be 88-JJ
    And if it is a passive game A-10’suited-AK with all other suited broadways.

We can apply the same range to MP as well. But we can add some smaller suited connectors and pairs due to pot odds.

BB should really never have 33 or 44s so we can remove most sets.
    MP could have all the sets and draws here.
  • KossKoss Red Chipper Posts: 128 ✭✭✭
    It's better to have the Ac than not, but even here I don't think that's really enough by itself. Multiway I tend to check these spots. It's fairly face up, but it's better than just betting into two players with wide ranges.

That said I don't hate going 1/3 pot here and just seeing what happens. BB is going to have a hard time calling with anything less than TP+ given the MP behind him, even though MP is going to whiff this pot a lot and will have a hard time continuing with a lot of his range. If BB calls his range is going to be fairly overpair heavy and I probably shut down unimproved. If BB folds but MP calls then I can evaluate the turn card and decide if I want to keep barreling.
  • yuval_er1yuval_er1 Red Chipper Posts: 15 ✭✭
    Thanks to both of you.
    As you said I thought my options are 1/3 bet and check. I chose to bet, BB checked-shoved, and I folded.
    I wasn't sure about the bet. I still think a check is a little bit better but I glad to read that you both don't hate the bet.
  • RoblivionRoblivion WisconsinRed Chipper Posts: 354 ✭✭✭
    I think a flop bet is a little bit better if you're deeper. As it stands, since your 3-bet was a bit large and got called in 2 spots, the SPR is small which doesn't allow for much play. Consequently, on this dry board, one of these guys is likely going to feel obligated to just go with gis unimproved pocket pair, which is often going to mean jamming and not allowing you to realize equity. May as well check back and guarantee you see the turn.

If you were deeper, it would be a better spot because you can still threaten future barrels by betting now, without hitting a commitment point, so their unimproved pocket pairs are in a tough spot against your uncapped range.

When you're playing the 3-bet game at 100 BB with AK, it's important to remember not to stick extra money in the pot after you miss. You're setting up the pot for those instances when you do hit your A or K - you want a nice small SPR. When you miss, you often just want to save your money for the next fight.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file