Playing above 40bb's

Dermott32Dermott32 Red Chipper Posts: 8 ✭✭
Hey
I've been playing MTT's for about a year now I'm pretty comfortable playing under 30bbs but I don't really have a solid strategy for playing above 40bb's or with a big stack.
Any advice on how to navigate a big stack especially throughout mid levels or recommendation on what to study would be appreciated.

Thanks
Tagged:

Comments

• GTOLifeGTOLife Hudson Valley, NYRed Chipper Posts: 907 ✭✭✭
    Your best bet is to probably play some cash games. I'm not a tournament guy, though (yet) but I can't see any better way to get an advantage over tournament players in deep stack postflop play.
  • Dermott32Dermott32 Red Chipper Posts: 8 ✭✭
    I'll try a few low limit games per week and see if it helps.

Thanks
  • MnpokerMnpoker Red Chipper Posts: 176 ✭✭
    Cash and tournament are different games. In cash you reload and the blind pressure doesn’t increase. 40BB is a comfortable stack but not a large stack. You need 4 flexible strategies 100BB plus, 100-40BB, 30-20BB and sub 20BB. There is GTO but in my opinion GTO works better at higher buyin tournaments but at lower buyins it doesn’t work as well because of how poorly the majority of the field plays
    That seems like a good start thanks.. I mainly play lower buy ins below $50 so I agree with not using Gto.
    Do you know of any thing a can research on strategy 40-100bb & 100bb+ or is it a case of just developing my own?
  • MnpokerMnpoker Red Chipper Posts: 176 ✭✭
    Core 2 has a good section and Johnathan Little has some good free info, is paid info is great but it is very expensive. I find that different rooms have a unique flow in the daily's and it would serve you well to take the info that you find and customize it to the flow of your room. The best advice that I can give is when you have a huge stack use it but don't get recluse, it is amazing how many people punt off huge stacks in tournaments.
    Thanks appreciated
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Las VegasPosts: 4,863 -
    As noted above, our CORE MTT course looks at all stack depths. We've had a huge number of positive reviews.

I also wrote an intro article series on MTTs that you may find helpful.
    Moderation In Moderation
    Ok Thanks Kat.. I'll take a look 👍

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file