1/2NL TT in BTN vs Blind Call, flop Js7s6d

Chris_VChris_V BoiseRed Chipper Posts: 181 ✭✭
1/2 NLHE Villain has 60BB, Hero Covers

Villain looks to be in his late 20s and is trying to play well. He does get bent out of shape when someone sucks out on him. He works as a farm hand so I think the money is dear to him.

Full ring game with a large variance in stack depth. Drunk to my direct left is the "Whale" with $600 and covers the table. He's in the small blind and is my target the whole night.

Hero on BTN with :Tc:Td
There has been a limp so Hero raises to 5BB. I don't want to blow the Whale out of the pot with something extremely large. I do have a tight image but people still do call my large opens and raises. I guess I could have made the Raise up to $15 and probably got the same result. Probably should have made the raise bigger in hindsight.

Whale folds but SB calls, limper folds. It's unusual to get a heads up pot this late in the night.

Flop: :Js:7s:6d
POT: 10.5BB after rake.
SPR: 6

SB checks and Hero bets 5BB. Against this player maybe I should have sized down to 3BB. I figure he's fit or fold. Maybe he'd peel a backdoor or gut-shot I haven't been able to see how he plays in a heads up situation like this. I could have also played this as a check back to see how he proceeds on the next street. At the time I was more interested in betting for protection. If I had 88, 99, Board pair 7 or 6 I think this would be the right play but TT may be strong enough to allow for a card to fall off.

Turn: :6s
Pot: 20.5BB
Eff Stack: 50BB

SB checks and Hero bets 10BB, SB C/R all-in, hero folds.

On the turn I thought I would bet and check back River if I didn't fill up. Probably should have checked it back to see what my opponent did on the river. If he bets big I fold if he bets small I call, if he checks I check it back.

Comments

• RedRed Red Chipper Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chris_V wrote: »
    Drunk to my direct left is the "Whale" with $600 and covers the table. He's in the small blind and is my target the whole night.
    [...]
    Whale folds but SB calls, limper folds.

There is a mistake in the description as the drunk one in SB can't be both folding and calling. So who did fold, who did call?
  • Chris_VChris_V BoiseRed Chipper Posts: 181 ✭✭
    edited June 6
    BB short stack calls, should be BB for the whole hand not SB. I wanted SB (🐋) in the pot but it didn't happen that way.
    Another concept that I wasn't thinking about at the time is I probably should have been looking to move to the Whale's left rather than being on his direct right. I let an opportunity pass me by.
  • ulysses27ulysses27 Red Chipper Posts: 212 ✭✭
    On this turn you would be checking back most cards and definitely the one that hit. Since you don't have a spade all you really block is 89 J10. I understand the desire to fold out overcards but that is a small part of v's range and your hand wants to see SD or at least the river.
    The flop bet was marginal but the turn bet was obviously bad. I got some weird "bet the turn" reflex that I need to curb. I figure the more I think about it and discuss it here the less likely I'll make the same mistakes in the future.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file