What would you do?

figgy00figgy00 Red Chipper Posts: 3 ✭✭
Hypothetical situation: I 2bet from BTN, Villain 3bets from SB, BB folds, I call. Flop comes and suits both our ranges, SB checks, but I have either:
A. A Gutshot draw
B. An open ended straight draw
C. A flush draw
What would you do in this situation? I feel I would check back A, Check back B 50% and bet the other 50% 1/3 pot as a semi-bluff, and bet 1/3 pot as a semi bluff for C.
Villain for arguments sake is a solid, balanced player.

Best Answers

• TheGameKatTheGameKat Las VegasPosts: 5,122 -
    edited June 11 Accepted Answer
    Mkay this is kinda fun. From our PRO 6-max, our raise-call from CO to a SB 3-bet is:

TT-77,AQs-AJs,A9s,A5s,KJs+,JTs,T9s,AQo

in response to the SB 3-bet range of:

88+,A9s+,A5s-A4s,K9s+,QTs+,JTs,AJo+,KQo

Preflop SB has a 54/46 equity edge, which I guess is one way of looking at how much the positional disadvantage costs them.

I'm guessing neutral flops cannot have high cards and need to be loosely connected. Something like J82 rbw. That preserves a small 52/48 edge for SB. So...

Can we give the CO:

A gutter on such a board? It's quite difficult. The closest I've got to all requirements is a 942 rbw flop around the A5s. And would SB really check that? If they do it feels like we should bet, but I'm guessing a solid, balanced player would lead.

I'll let others play with this and the other two hypotheticals if they're so inclined. With the OESD I think we'll always have pretty clear range advantage. The FD case may be the most nuanced.

Moderation In Moderation
    Accepted Answer
    figgy00 wrote: »
    So, if the flop was checked to you; what would you do?, bet 100% of the time no matter the situation?
    I'm confused in these spots and don't know whether to bet for value, make a small bet in case i land; or check back to keep the pot smaller?
    Even though I've answered with my thoughts i realise I'm more than likely incorrect as it feels like more of a guess at a tactical bet more than I'm confident I know what I'm doing in these spots.

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Population analysis suggests that when the preflop 3-bettor is OOP and checks flop, they fold to a bet so frequently we can likely auto-profit against most opponents. Unless villain has shown a propensity to check-raise in this exact scenario, I think we should be betting a lot.
    Moderation In Moderation

Answers

That's quite a broad question. It's interesting to do it without your specific hole cards, but I think we at least need to consider some sample boards. That would clarify the rather vague "flop suits both our ranges". I'm guessing you mean neither of you have range advantage nor nut range advantage? In which case I think you can make a case for betting all of them, giving preference to nut draws.
    Moderation In Moderation
    I think what's confusing me is that if our opponent is a solid, balanced player, then on a range neutral board as the preflop aggressor, why aren't they betting?
    Moderation In Moderation
  • figgy00figgy00 Red Chipper Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited June 11
    So, if the flop was checked to you; what would you do?, bet 100% of the time no matter the situation?
    I'm confused in these spots and don't know whether to bet for value, make a small bet in case i land; or check back to keep the pot smaller?
    Even though I've answered with my thoughts i realise I'm more than likely incorrect as it feels like more of a guess at a tactical bet more than I'm confident I know what I'm doing in these spots.

Any guidance would be much appreciated.
  • DenisNSmithDenisNSmith Red Chipper Posts: 19 ✭✭
    Vs. a check, I bet 1/3 of the pot in each scenario. If I get re-raised with the OESD or the flush draw, I ram. Gutshot you can fold.
  • DenisNSmithDenisNSmith Red Chipper Posts: 19 ✭✭
    Note: If either of those draws is very weak (23s, 45o, or the idiot end of the straight), then I check. And still worry, even if I hit.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file