How to play UTG JTs?

sportlasportla Red Chipper Posts: 27 ✭✭
I need some help on how to play this hand correctly:

Preflop
It's a $ 1 / $ 2 with a $ 5 button straddle this round. The SB calls, I ($ 280) call UTG with JdTd too, UTG + 1 ($ 220) calls. This is a solid REG that has not been noticed by any unusual moves so far. Two other players also call.

Flop ($ 27):
Qh4d3d
I check, the REG is betting $ 25. Everyone folds, I call.

Turn ($ 77):
5s
I check, the REG goes with $ 190 AI, almost 2.5x the pot. I fold.

Question 1) Would the Line Bet Flop, Bet Turn have been better for me?
Question 2) Should I have played the hand differently if I had the nuts flush draw?

Thank you for a few pointers.
Tagged:

Comments

• TheGameKatTheGameKat Las VegasPosts: 4,960 -
    How many players at the table?

I question your characterization as UTG+1 being a solid reg. Overlimping with all that dead money just seems weak to me. If by solid you mean weak-tight, I can see it, but "solid reg" seems to be used frequently as a catch-all for "not terrible", and that isn't very descriptive.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • sportlasportla Red Chipper Posts: 27 ✭✭
    Ok, I agree. He was "not terrible" - there are 9 players on the table.
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Las VegasPosts: 4,960 -
    I just fold pre. With a button straddle and both blinds in already you'd have to make a massive raise to get some clarity in this position. Limping you know you're going to have players in front and behind you, and that's the best-case scenario when nobody raises.

As played, yes with NFD I think you can think about check-raising flop. Betting a non-nut draw into that big of a field doesn't strike me as a good idea.
    Moderation In Moderation
  • KossKoss Red Chipper Posts: 82 ✭✭
    These hands go down in value OOP and with short stacks. A $200 stack already plays short relative to the blinds at live $1/$2 due to the typical 5x+ opens. With the $5 button straddle on, I just fold preflop unless the table is unusually tight and I think a $20 raise has a good chance of getting through. I think the rest of the hand is OK. Leading has some merit as well just to control the flop sizing.
  • LoveFishLoveFish IllinoisRed Chipper Posts: 154 ✭✭
    For the button straddle I think a mixed strategy is fine personally. For me it depends on who is on the button and how aggro they are. If it’s a tighter player I would tend to open to $25. If it’s an aggro player that bombs his button a lot I also think limp calling is fine some of the time.

As played check Calling the flop is fine.
    Check folding the turn is the correct move when facing a jam for more than the pot. With a card that in no way helps your hand. You have J high.
  • DenisNSmithDenisNSmith Red Chipper Posts: 19 ✭✭
    edited July 8
    You are ALWAYS looking for information. A Check gets you none, whereas a small bet gets you plenty - and maybe a fold.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file