Busting tournament in 3rd place off 40BB stack

NielsohnNielsohn Red Chipper Posts: 6 ✭✭
edited July 2 in Online Poker Hands
Hi guys,

I just posted a couple of other spots already but there's one more I would like your opinion on. :)
I recently made it to the final 3 of a 55$ tournament with around 900$ up top. I was in last place but feeling confident as I had around 40BB. Both of my opponents had around 55BB in their stacks.

I ended up busting out in 3rd in the following hand:
  • BTN (no reads due to small sample size) opens to 2.2BB. SB folds.
  • Hero is in the Big Blind holding :Ad:Jd and 3bets to 7.7BB. Villain calls.
  • Flop comes: :5h:Jc:Tc
  • Hero cbets ~6BB into a pot of ~16BB. Villain calls.
  • Turn: :Qs
  • Hero Shoves 26.5BB into a pot of 28.5BB
  • Villain calls with :Qh:Js
  • River bricks.

I'm really unsure whether I misplayed this hand. I feel like I shouldn't be busting with such a big stack in a big final table spot. My thinking on the turn was basically "If he has a Queen he has a Queen". With so much of my stack invested already I felt I couldn't fold this relatively strong hand, just because an overcard hit the board. I also wanted to deny flush draws their equity. However the Queen also means his 98 gets there, as well as his KQ. How could I have played this differently, if at all? I feel like the Preflop 3bet is mandatory. Should I check-call the flop to keep the pot small? Or bet flop and check-fold turn? Neither seem like very good options. What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

Niels

Comments

• MnpokerMnpoker Red Chipper Posts: 199 ✭✭
    Preflop is fine, flop c-bet is way small with a flush draw and a straight draw on the board this bet needs to be much bigger. The turn shove is a mistake and the reasoning behind the shove is a bigger mistake. The straight got there and there is an over card, also there is still a straight draw (if the don't already have it) and a flush draw. Way to wet of a board for a screw it shove.
  • NielsohnNielsohn Red Chipper Posts: 6 ✭✭
    So you would cbet bigger on the flop and then check/fold turn? Thinking about it, it does sound a lot better than my line lol.

Thanks!
  • MnpokerMnpoker Red Chipper Posts: 199 ✭✭
    not sure about check folding, you would need to see what he bets and what you feel that you are facing. If you are sure that they have the straight then you are drawing to a chop. If you think he has a Q or even 2 pairs or a set you are drawing thin, or do you think that he is donk leading a weaker J. Just looking at the history it would be tough to find a call. I just really dislike the shove mainly because there is too much that beats you given the board texture
  • TheGameKatTheGameKat Las VegasPosts: 4,960 -
    What were the pay-outs?

Couple of points. While the preflop 3-bet is standard, it's not obligatory. If you get called you're playing AJs OOP with an SPR of two. That's fine but tends to lead to exactly these kinds of tough decisions.

Mn suggests c-betting bigger due to the wet flop. I understand the logic behind that, but when this shallow it's not exactly simple to find a sensible follow up.

Also I don't understand how you have no reads on BTN. Even if the final table formed 6-handed, you've seen them play hands to get to 3-handed, surely?
    Moderation In Moderation
  • DenisNSmithDenisNSmith Red Chipper Posts: 19 ✭✭
    edited July 8
    3-way you have to ram with your J there on the flop. You have all other Js, and it's just bad luck to get a bad beat. V is definitely calling there, but maybe not from your initial raise (really should be worried about pocket overs). Don't let them see another card. You get the same result if they call then if you ram?

Long story short, it is a mistake for them to call a shove on the flop here, but it is not a mistake to ram here.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file